Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer "Six Speed" transmission cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outer "Six Speed" transmission cover

Bought a chrome cover from a member and am getting ready to install it. Not sure the technical name for it, but it's the cover that says "six speed" on it and where the clutch cable enters. (This is a 2012 Fat Bob 103.)

Under clutch cable replacement, the manual says to drain the transmission fluid before removing the cover. Would like to avoid that and wait until I get the bike back on the road (spring) and get it warmed up before doing a fluid change.

So, if I don't drain the fluid, how much will come out when I remove the cover? If I lean the bike over on the jiffy stand, will that minimize the loss?

Need to remove the pipes as well and am wondering if I need to replace the seals between the pipes and the engine heads. Can these be re-used? Bike only has a few thousand miles on it.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I've always been told to replace the exhaust gaskets anytime you take the pipes off. Dunno about the other cover.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Jaysonb
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my tranny cover off a few nights ago to replace the cable. On the jiffy stand, only a few drips came out. I pulled that cover with the exhaust left on. If you have to puul thr exhaust, you should replace the gaskets, they are the crush type, and they are cheap.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only replaced the exhaust gaskets when changing pipes.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Same pipes low miles you should be able to reuse them.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoblb
I've only replaced the exhaust gaskets when changing pipes.
Myself and many other have changed multiple types of pipe and removed them several times on the same exhaust gaskets. You should be fine.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
RJHD
Tourer

Thanks everyone.

Jasonb, I assume your bike isn't a 103. Could my engine be any different? Hate to remove this cover and be swimming in fluid.

Can't see how I could possibly remove and replace this cover with my pipes on. Just no room. Would never get a torque wrench on the bolts. Your pipes must be different?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
19jake91
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled my cover off of my 103 yesterday to swap cables. Not much oil came out, it barely coated the bottom of the drain pan. I pulled off my exhaust and it was a lot easier. I also go new gaskets for $6.50 each at the dealership. To me $13 isn't worth having to do it twice

Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
RJHD
Tourer

Thanks. Did you have the bike on the jiffy stand? I have the bike in a wheel chock to work on it. Did giving it some lean help keep the fluid in?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your worried about losing fluid drain it and put it back in when your done... I'd do the job on your wheel chock. Of the 3 holes your trannys probably the cleanest anyway. If your bike only has a couple thousand miles on it your good for at least another 3K. Ive also reused exhaust gaskets without any problems

Quick Reply: Outer "Six Speed" transmission cover