Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for hot Texas summer...how rich is too rich at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Preparing for hot Texas summer...how rich is too rich at idle?

So this will really only make sense to those with a tuner like the PV where you can modify individual cells in the AFR tables.

So modded as indicated in my sig, I've autotuned with PV...but finding that even at relatively low ambient temps(70-80F) it doesn't take very long idling in traffic for the EITMS to kick in, which happens at 289F HEAD temp. So, I've started lowering the AFR in the hot idle range (30kpa/750-1000rpm). No results yet, but I have it set at 14:1 right now and gonna see how that goes. I've heard of lowering idle AFR all the way into the 13:1 range.

Coming from aviation air-cooled engine maintenance, the thinking is that it's only too rich if you start fouling the plugs...**** the EPA when it comes to whether my expensive twin-cam is going to melt down in traffic in 110F ambient texas heat. However, at some point you can start washing the oil off the cylinder walls and diluting your oil with fuel. I'm assuming that's gonna only happen well below 12:1.

Opinions?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

FM set up my 20 MAP column at 12.9 AFR(actually .884 Lamda but I did the conversion for ya), so that should be good for you too. Might also think about a cooling fan if you ride in traffic alot. I leave out in the country and rarely have to stop very long.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by alansummrs
FM set up my 20 MAP column at 12.9 AFR(actually .884 Lamda but I did the conversion for ya), so that should be good for you too. Might also think about a cooling fan if you ride in traffic alot. I leave out in the country and rarely have to stop very long.
20 map is deceleration only. My 103 idles at 30. In the table there are 20, 25, and 30 columns. I had already enrichened my 20 column to get rid of decel popping.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
20 map is deceleration only. My 103 idles at 30. In the table there are 20, 25, and 30 columns. I had already enrichened my 20 column to get rid of decel popping.
My table has 20, 27, and 30.... FM set my 27 and 30 MAP columns at stoic to keep me in CL until 4000 rpm then then OL. Just had a thought:

I have tweaked this map a bit, just don't have a pic to post right now. I know I ran the 27 MAP column down to .939 below 4000 rpm. A couple of other small tweaks but nothing big.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

My table has 20, 27, and 30.... FM set my 27 and 30 MAP columns at stoic to keep me in CL until 4000 rpm then then OL. Just had a thought:

I have tweaked this map a bit, just don't have a pic to post right now. I know I ran the 27 MAP column down to .939 below 4000 rpm. A couple of other small tweaks but nothing big.
Ah, you're right, mine is 27 too, not 25. Mine is basically like yours(wish you had it in AFR instead of lambda) but I'm talking about enrichening the 27-30map/750-1000rpm cells in order to run cooler at idle and keep it from overheating in traffic. I'm trying to figure out how rich is too rich at idle. Your idle is set to be almost as fuel/emissions efficient as possible but that results in more heat.

Last edited by Red Dragons; 03-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I went to look at a few AFR maps that I made pics of on my IPad that were posted on the PV Sticky by some sharp tuning guys and I saw 13.7 on one of them in the area you are interested in.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

I went to look at a few AFR maps that I made pics of on my IPad that were posted on the PV Sticky by some sharp tuning guys and I saw 13.7 on one of them in the area you are interested in.
Sweet, thanks. That thread is too damn big.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd not worry about the MAP numbers, just think about the RPMs. The MAP will vary depending on your altitude and it won't matter much as you will not run the bike at real low RPMs and high MAPs anyway.

I set all the columns in the 1000 and 1125 rows of the AFR table to 13.8. I could feel the immediate drop in heat off the engine around town with that change.

Not sure how rich you can practically take it but I suppose 13.5 would still be OK. You don't need to worry much about mpg at those RPMs, its only sipping then.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Foxster
I'd not worry about the MAP numbers, just think about the RPMs. The MAP will vary depending on your altitude and it won't matter much as you will not run the bike at real low RPMs and high MAPs anyway.

I set all the columns in the 1000 and 1125 rows of the AFR table to 13.8. I could feel the immediate drop in heat off the engine around town with that change.

Not sure how rich you can practically take it but I suppose 13.5 would still be OK. You don't need to worry much about mpg at those RPMs, its only sipping then.
Good points, and good idea. I'm gonna give that a shot. Seems like this should be common practice on anybodys tune considering how hot these things get when sitting for just a few minutes.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put a bit more info in an article for our club site that might be of some vague interest...

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...ighs-efis.html

Quick Reply: Preparing for hot Texas summer...how rich is too rich at idle?