Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How snug should a full face helmet be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How snug should a full face helmet be?

I just ordered a fullface helmet off eBay by using their sizing chart and it seems really tight. I have not had a full face helmet in years but this seemed very restrictive and uncomfortable. Is this common, or should I send it back in and order the larger size?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Buying a helmet without trying it on is a hit-or-miss proposition. That said, the tighter it fits, the better. Obviously, if it's too tight to be worn comfortably that is not good, but generally speaking, the tighter the better.

A good test is to put the helmet on and move you head back-n-forth sharply. If you feel the helmet move or slide around, it's too big.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You want a snug fit on a new FF so it can give a little over the first several uses, but you don't want it so tight that it causes uncomfortable pressure. It's very subjective, but if you feel really wedged in, it's too small

I just ordered a new Bell half helmet. My measured size is right on the line between L and XL. I took a chance on the L but might be in the same situation as you. The good news is that I bought from Revzilla and their return process is very good.

Good luck. What helmet did you get?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR
I just ordered a fullface helmet off eBay by using their sizing chart and it seems really tight. I have not had a full face helmet in years but this seemed very restrictive and uncomfortable. Is this common, or should I send it back in and order the larger size?
Helmets are a difficult thing to order online because of the fitment factor. That being said, they should be pretty tight and snug. It should be snug to the point that it may be a bit annoying if you are standing around with it on. However, when you are riding and your mind is in other things, it should not be an issue. It should fit snugly on your cheeks and all the way around, particularly when they are brand new. They do require a bit of a break in period and will losen up some over time.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crash75
Helmets are a difficult thing to order online because of the fitment factor. That being said, they should be pretty tight and snug. It should be snug to the point that it may be a bit annoying if you are standing around with it on. However, when you are riding and your mind is in other things, it should not be an issue. It should fit snugly on your cheeks and all the way around, particularly when they are brand new. They do require a bit of a break in period and will losen up some over time.
That's the thing, isn't it. I can't tell you how many helmets I've bought over the years that became too loose after break in simply because I didn't like the tightness of the new helmet fit.

A few years ago Arai quit selling online for this very reason. Unfortunately they lost sales and started selling online again.

My advice is, go as snug as you can without giving yourself a brain wedgie. The break in will make it right in a fairly short time.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crash75
BTW, that a beautiful bike Crash! Damn gorgeous !!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a full face snell rated helmet off eBay. The brand is Typhoon. It was $89, but I figured a snell is a snell, right?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain

All above is good advice.
Most manufacturers make different sized cheek pieces / liners, but use the same shell for different sizes of helmets. You can check with them to see if they sell different size cheek pieces separately. I know most higher-end helmets have that ability.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR
I ordered a full face snell rated helmet off eBay. The brand is Typhoon. It was $89, but I figured a snell is a snell, right?
I have found that with helmets, you get what you pay for. After wearing that $89.00 helmet for a while, ride with a properly fitted $500 helmet. You'll
wish you spent the extra money.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Full face
Snug, not tight on the head.
Be able to put 2 fingers between your chin and the chin piece.
Shouldn't move on your head.

Go modular.

Quick Reply: How snug should a full face helmet be?