Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can you leave a bike on a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How long can you leave a bike on a lift?

So I am prepping to do my first maintenance myself, and I am searching into jacks/lifts/stands...different ideas to see what will work best. I have searched the threads and everyone is praising J&S. I agree, looks like a good product (I loath HF BTW) Problem....they are a bit out of range, but considering just buying it. So how long can you leave your scoot on the lift to do the maintenance?

Also, if there is a more economical option besides HF, I am thinking maybe the craftsman lift with a Rage Sports stand combo idea but that stand has a max cap of 750lbs....doesn't leave a whole lot of grace to be had! Thanks in advance for positive feed back.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on how much room you have. And the extent of your mods. i got lucky and picked up a Direct Lift lift table off CL for $250. I was using a Sears yellow jack before that (still have it). Serves its purpose. You can buy the Direct Lift in Hayward for $645. The HF table ain't bad for the price $299.

Last edited by DanDman; 03-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can leave it on the lift/jack on long as you want, as long as you lock ii in position. There's a thread on here about modifying a jack so a Dyna is more stable on it.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up a sears craftsman (red) for 100.00 new and did the modification, it works great. As mentioned above just be sure and use the lock when bike is on lift.

Oops, your talking about a lift table?

Last edited by ynots; 03-23-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

J and S, no straps, very sturdy. Mines on it all winter, which is about 364 days a year, seems like.
ya get what ya pay for.

Last edited by DJY; 03-23-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

After researching automotive and motorcycle lifts, it seems that 75% of Sears and Harbor Freight lifts are the same, differing in paint color only. No matter what you buy, the important things to remember are: always use the locking mechanism and always strap the bike to the lift.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AFMM3
After researching automotive and motorcycle lifts, it seems that 75% of Sears and Harbor Freight lifts are the same, differing in paint color only. No matter what you buy, the important things to remember are: always use the locking mechanism and always strap the bike to the lift.
t
True dat "They" say the cheaper jacks will blow the seals eventually. "eventually" who invented that convenient word? Someone else said "ya get what ya paid for", well that is also true! And that is why the locking mechanism is in place. I've had my cheap-o lift for three years now and it's fine so far! Left the bike on it all winter no problems. I keep it low to the ground when I'm not near it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM
clout2301
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Direct Lift table lift and she's been on there since I put her away for the winter. No problems with leaving her on there for extended times.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is the J&S jack. Kinda expensive at $499 but I figured if I need to sell it because I am getting out motorcycling....I can sell it for $300 easily because I do not see any of these on CL around my area. Got this one because basically I do not want my bike on a unstable platform. But man this jack IS stable!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park my bike on my J&S lift. That let's me move the bike against the wall and easily spin the bike around 180 degrees when I'm ready to ride. As long as you use the locks, it is fail safe.

Quick Reply: How long can you leave a bike on a lift?