Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Month old Street Bob meets pavement...Street Bob miraculously wins

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Month old Street Bob meets pavement...Street Bob miraculously wins

So I was rear ended at a stop light leaving the base the other day.

My wife had a medical emergency while driving around town and called me to say she was calling 911. I hopped on the bike, knowing only where she was at the time...not what hospital she would be taken to. Anyway, as I reach the outbound gate for the base, I hit a stop light. Just then, my phone goes off so I pull up next to the curb and hit my flashers to take the call and find out where she is going. During the call, the light turns green so I turn around to tell the guy behind me to go around and SLAM!!! He saw the light turn and just went without bothering to notice that I hadn't moved yet. I go flying...bike hits the pavement...

Get this, the guy is a military cop...and he also rides a motorcycle. Of all the people you would THINK would pay attention to bikes, it should be this guy.

So I pick the bike up and start to look her over. AMAZINGLY, the right rear taillight is the only thing BROKEN...stripped the threads out of the housing. Slight rash on the ball of the brake lever...some slight rash on the right mirror stem...slightly bent rear brake pedal (which bent back quite easily). That's it...The bags kept the bike high enough to not scrape the exhaust/engine with no real damage to the bag either.

Long story short...I escaped with a bruise on the leg and a slightly sore shoulder, bike escaped with very minimal damage, and my wife ended up ok after a short stay in the hospital.

Stay safe out there everyone.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
dmpjr
Tourer

Great news...Be safe.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

People in this town don't notice ANYTHING!! If you ride in surprise or sun city you take your chances with the elderly, LOL! Glad you & the bike came out pretty much unscathed. Of all the people to hit you though huh?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a story... something can literally be staring at you right in the face and people wont notice. Glad to hear you're ok.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
What a story... something can literally be staring at you right in the face and people wont notice. Glad to hear you're ok.
Yeah...not to mention I was wearing this bright orange Icon backpack as well...

Last edited by slave2theaxe; 03-30-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Glad to hear you and your wife are ok. The fact that the bike wasn't damaged too bad is a bonus.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One more example of people, even fellow riders, do NOT see us when we are to the right portion of the lane. Not that the OP could do anything different here just saying when in a cage we/they are blind to the right side of the lane.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asm481
One more example of people, even fellow riders, do NOT see us when we are to the right portion of the lane. Not that the OP could do anything different here just saying when in a cage we/they are blind to the right side of the lane.
No, I was on the LEFT side of the lane next to the curb(divided road-2 lanes out, 2 lanes in) so I was DIRECTLY in front of the driver's line of sight.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by slave2theaxe
No, I was on the LEFT side of the lane next to the curb(divided road-2 lanes out, 2 lanes in) so I was DIRECTLY in front of the driver's line of sight.
Was it a lifted truck? Very lucky nonetheless.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 AM
roscoe2010
Cruiser

Glad to hear you and the bike escaped major damage, stay safe.

Quick Reply: Month old Street Bob meets pavement...Street Bob miraculously wins