Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question - FXDX - Burley slammer kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question - FXDX - Burley slammer kit

I need to lower my bike. My 04 FXDXI sits much higher then other Dynas I've seen. I have a short inseam and don't feel really secure with it at stock height. with 2 inch heel boots i barely flat foot it at stops.

I have been looking into the Burley slammer kit or the Progressive 412's. I think the 412's will lower me an inch while the burley will get me 1 1/2 inches. I'm leaning towards the burley kit.

My main question concerns the front spring replacement. All the videos show removing the fork cap on models that do not have the adjustable rebound adjuster that the FXDX have. My question is does the adjuster come out in 1 piece with the fork cap or is that removed before the cap?

Also, is there a special tool for this or do you use an ordinary socket (a deep on I would guess)?

Other then the need for a shorter kick stand are there any other concerns with the FXDX?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My friend has an 01 FXDX-T, when he went with shorter shocks we learned the hard way that the upper mount stud for the rear shock was too short for standard shocks, we had to buy new upper shock stud from a regular FXD. Also for the front you could just loosen the tree pinch bolts and slide the forktubes up

Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Yeah, i was thinking about sliding the fork tubes up. Seems a better way the messing with the adjuster up front. Let's say i install the Burley 10 1/2's, do i just slide the front fork up 1 1/2 inches to mach the drop in the rear?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't ruin that bike............best handling bike HD ever made....jmo

Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Don, i hear ya, believe me , I do but I don't have much of a choice. I'm actually gonna see what's out there before I make the change. if I can pick something up in my budget and sell this without losing too much, I do that. However, I've put a lot of love into this bike and I really am attached to it. i'd like to get a few more years out of it but at this height I can't stop with as much control as i'd like.

Besides, I've kept all the original parts for the next owner if they choose to return it to stock.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Sell me your rear shocks. I could sue an extra set. The forks are cartridge forks and nothing like the standard HD fork set up. Sliding the tubes in the triple is by far the easiest way to lower the front. You need a spring compressor to take the FXDX forks apart.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Thanks for the info, HogPro.

ok, so yeah after some m ore research i agree, sliding the forks up is the easiest way. i was gonna use the lowering kit with the new springs and spacer but I don't want to mess with the adjustment on the front.

So that leaves me with just replacing the rear shocks. i estimate that i need about another 1 to 1 1/2 inches to really feel comfortable. I read that the stock rear shocks on the 2004 FXDX are 13". Can anyone confirm that. there's not indo in the service manual.

So, if i put on a 11.5" shock and lowered the front forks 1 1/2" would that do it?

Also, if i slid the front forks up on my own, could I put a jack under the frame and use that to lower the bike, rather then have someone support it?

When i loosen the pinch screws do i need to put blue lock tite on them when i re-tighten?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Stock shocks are 13". I am sure the bike would probably handle better if you get the front forks lowered the proper way. Also, get a different seat that will help lower you too. I like my C&C.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Stock shocks are 13". I am sure the bike would probably handle better if you get the front forks lowered the proper way. Also, get a different seat that will help lower you too. I like my C&C.
Sorry to be so dense, lol, but when you say "the proper way" are you talking about sliding the forks up or some other way?

Also am i correct about the 11.5" shocks on the rear?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 AM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't speak for hog pro but i think he means to have the sliders rebuilt with race tech springs and gold valves or something like that. i had a 2000 fxdx that i did springs and valves on the front end to tighten it up. i remember that you can cut the spacers inside by 1'' to drop the front end. that way you would get the best of both ride quality and lowerd stance.

Quick Reply: Question - FXDX - Burley slammer kit