Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Tool Bag

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ordered Tool Bag

So until a couple of days ago I was convinced that the wind buffeting issue that I was experiencing was from the air coming over my windshield, not from underneath. I read damn near every thread I could find on the subject on multiple sites and a lot of them talked about the wind coming from underneath that was the culprit.

I tried the arm across the chest trick quite a few times and it never seemed to alleviate the buffeting, that was till recently. Maybe I was holding my arm incorrectly??? Whatever the reason, the other day when I was cruising down the road and I was getting beat up by the wind pretty bad and I decided to try it again. This time my head went from a full rattle to only a very slight rattle.

So...since I wanted to get a tool bag anyway for my upcoming trip I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully this will really reduce the buffeting since I will be on the highway 99% of 2000 miles.

I ordered the following bag off of Amazon. Tried one at a local shop but they only had the 10" version. There were suppose to order me the 12" version and call me back but never did. So went with Amazon and got it $10 cheaper. Would rather have bought from them to support a local shop but....

Anyway, when I get it on I will follow up with results.

This is a T Bag: 12” TOOL BAG TB4350TB

Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting, I had read about this too but have not tried it. I just put on a Windvest and the buffeting is not bad since I adjusted it, but anything that helps reduce buffeting is worth a try. My old tool bag is only 8 inches and does not work below the headlights. I will see how it goes for you before buying a new one.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Chief, what kind of windshield are you using?

I have the same issue with my Windvest, and the arm across the chest test eliminates the buffeting. I ordered a fork bag from Bad&G to see if it helps.

According to Doug at Windvest, the buffeting can be adjusted out by changing the angle, but my apes prevent me from tilting it back any further.

Frankly, I've been running it so long without the windshield that I've gotten used to not having one. It also keeps my speed in check. I can tell when I'm creeping over 80, whereas with the windvest on, I have no idea unless I look down at the speedo.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Buffeting can be caused by two issues. The first is the shield being set at the right height/angle to allow wind to hit you in the center of your helmet. To fix it, you either go up or down with your shield. I have a quarter fairing and the wind hits me around the neck area. I wear a full face and have ZERO buffeting. The second is caused by pressure differences from wind going under your shield and meeting the wind from the top. To stop that, you do what you guys are doing. So, I said all that to say this...Find out what kind of buffeting you have before you try to fix it and you will be much more successful. This is all very non scientific. I learned it from owning both a Streetglide and a Roadking. Both bikes will buffet the heck out of you if the windshield system is not set up right...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 04-07-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

I had the Harley quick release windshield that's 18" tall above the headlight. I had quite a bit of buffeting. I changed to the Harley quick release that's 14" tall above the headlight, and about 95% of the buffeting was gone.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Hey Chief, what kind of windshield are you using?

I have the same issue with my Windvest, and the arm across the chest test eliminates the buffeting. I ordered a fork bag from Bad&G to see if it helps.

According to Doug at Windvest, the buffeting can be adjusted out by changing the angle, but my apes prevent me from tilting it back any further.

Frankly, I've been running it so long without the windshield that I've gotten used to not having one. It also keeps my speed in check. I can tell when I'm creeping over 80, whereas with the windvest on, I have no idea unless I look down at the speedo.
I have the HD Super Sport. I had the HD Compact before which was 10x's worse.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Buffeting can be caused by two issues. The first is the shield being set at the right height/angle to allow wind to hit you in the center of your helmet. To fix it, you either go up or down with your shield. I have a quarter fairing and the wind hits me around the neck area. I wear a full face and have ZERO buffeting. The second is caused by pressure differences from wind going under your shield and meeting the wind from the top. To stop that, you do what you guys are doing. So, I said all that to say this...Find out what kind of buffeting you have before you try to fix it and you will be much more successful. This is all very non scientific. I learned it from owning both a Streetglide and a Roadking. Both bikes will buffet the heck out of you if the windshield system is not set up right...
Agreed, not scientific at all, just got to find what works for you. I tried raising and lowering on my forks, never really made a difference. Put extra washers in the bottom/middle/top in all combinations to make the windshield either sit forward more or sit back more, no difference. Tried adjusting the angle of the clamps, went too far one time and broke a clamp. Ordered a locking clamp, which I wanted anyway, adjusted to a less extreme degree, still didnt help.

I am really hoping the tool bag works out and solves the majority of the issue. I usually dont use the windshield around town unless its really cold in the morning, I really just need it for the highway. I did a 2.5 hour (each way) on the highway and it was so damn exhausting just to hold on. I couldnt imagine doing that for 2K miles.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Tepidy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chief I switched to Harley's quick release compact to their quick release touring and all buffeting vanished

Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Agreed, not scientific at all, just got to find what works for you. I tried raising and lowering on my forks, never really made a difference. Put extra washers in the bottom/middle/top in all combinations to make the windshield either sit forward more or sit back more, no difference. Tried adjusting the angle of the clamps, went too far one time and broke a clamp. Ordered a locking clamp, which I wanted anyway, adjusted to a less extreme degree, still didnt help.

I am really hoping the tool bag works out and solves the majority of the issue. I usually dont use the windshield around town unless its really cold in the morning, I really just need it for the highway. I did a 2.5 hour (each way) on the highway and it was so damn exhausting just to hold on. I couldnt imagine doing that for 2K miles.
Just realized you are in Northwest Florida (Pensacola?). I am in Biloxi, MS and come over to Alabama all the time...You want to meet up and ride my bike? Maybe the quarter fairing is the answer?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Just realized you are in Northwest Florida (Pensacola?). I am in Biloxi, MS and come over to Alabama all the time...You want to meet up and ride my bike? Maybe the quarter fairing is the answer?
Yep in Pensacola, about 5 min from Lillian, AL. If you are ever headed east towards this way, shoot me a message, it would be awesome to try out the quarter fairing!

Quick Reply: Ordered Tool Bag