Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues with installing thundermax

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default issues with installing thundermax

I just got bike back from shop with a 110 kit. It ran at the shop and sounded good. Still snow here and dropped it off at garage.
I installed the new HD speedometer tach combo and transferred milage, & set it up. Did not start engine.
I removed OEM ECM and installed thundermax ECM auto tuner.
When I turned on power to upload program, I noticed "VIN ERROR" on tach. This is supposed to come on only when you ridr 31 miles or 50 K and if you try transferring it to another bike at that time this code would show up and you would have to put it back on original bike to work.
I have tried uploading TM 3 times and when I go to start bike as per instructions to sync TPS,IAC,{ start and run for 10 seconds, shut off for 10 seconds and fire it up second time} It won't start or starts once and shut it off to restart in 10 seconds it turns over and sounds like timing is off and wont start.
It's not the tach doing this is it, I will have to get warrant on that unless there is something I'm missing here

Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced

So I put oem speedometer back in to troubleshoot one thing at a time.
No change. Bike fires up let it run and stabilize. Shut off and try restart and not happening.
Shouldn't have these issues for $900.00

Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

for that price you could have bought a TTS and a dyno tune and been done with it...........

Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm going to follow this thread because I just bought a used bike that has a Thundermax tuner. No problems with it but I'm trying to figure out how this thing works in case I do any other mods.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM
ibfree2855
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call TM Tech assistance.

Last edited by ibfree2855; 04-13-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I have TM and love it. Worth every dime to me.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Originally Posted by brad-humble-racing
instructions to sync TPS,IAC,{ start and run for 10 seconds, shut off for 10 seconds and fire it up second time}
Thats not what my instructions say. Maybe things have changed, but Id go back to the book and check again on how to initialize. Run the IAC later.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 PM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced

The speedometer/tach is rectfied. Forgot to upload it to new ECM. All good there.
I called it a day and read through what they sent 3 or 4 times. Setup everything by the book. I will go online and see if there is different setup tonight. I setup a MC4 MSD on a dragsled so am familiar with process.
Zippers did ship a program uploaded for me for a true 2 into 2 Rhinehart {closest setup for short radius Vance and Hines} I did not use it as the speedometer calibration was set to Dyna 2008/2009 code 42450. I uploaded same program #810 but put in speedometer calibration code 44750 which is for a 2010 dyna
I checked old forum posts on this and 50/50 on reviews. My brotherinlaw who is not with us anymore had one on his fatbob {Underground Performance} bike and was flawless. Another bike up here has one on a stage one 96" CI and no isues either.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brad-humble-racing
It won't start or starts once and shut it off to restart in 10 seconds it turns over and sounds like timing is off and wont start.
Need more info. What exactly is it doing when you try to start it. Also, what is your engine combo and how closely does the base map match your build.

I have had an issue in the past where the base map was to lean at idle. I had to goto the "Front Fuelflow vs TPS" page and increase the fuelflow at the 768rpm and 1024rpm settings for it to idle.

The map your loading may be too far off from where it needs to be for the TM to auto tune. Look through the base maps and make sure the one your loading is the best choice.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

read thoroughly the instructions. you need to go into the software and enter your VIN then that code will go away. It is in the troubleshooting section of your thundermax instructions.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boost
Need more info. What exactly is it doing when you try to start it. Also, what is your engine combo and how closely does the base map match your build.

I have had an issue in the past where the base map was to lean at idle. I had to goto the "Front Fuelflow vs TPS" page and increase the fuelflow at the 768rpm and 1024rpm settings for it to idle.

The map your loading may be too far off from where it needs to be for the TM to auto tune. Look through the base maps and make sure the one your loading is the best choice.
The instruction manual sent with TM and what is online for setup has different steps.
What I have is 2010 Fatbob. 110 CI Screaming eagle package. Stage 1 with Vance & Hines short radius pipes. The closest configuration the only difference is I had to go Rhinehart dual pipe which is also what Zippers recommended.
When I powered on and off 3 times at 30 second intervals and then went to start unit it did fre up & run a bit rough. Following instructions, Run engine 10 seconds shut off for 10 seconds and fire up again which should have engine running smooth. When I try starting 2nd time it jusyt turnsover and sounds like timing or fuel is way off.
Looking at online video which is a bit different and will try that.

Quick Reply: issues with installing thundermax