Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain case oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
kenNH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain case oil leak

I just replaced the bearing, oil seal and race in the primary chain case going to the transmission shaft and drive belt sprocket. I changed the seal for the starter jack shaft to.The damn thing still seems to be leaking. WTF what did I do wrong? This is on my 2001 FXDXT Twin Cam 88

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you do the shift shaft seal behind the primary? I have an 01 fxdwg that's what I had to replace

Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you could give us a few more details as to exactly what happened, what you did to fix, and how you did it, we might be able to provide some more useful input.

First, are you sure the leak was primary lube, or tranny lube? How do you know? Typically, as Six said, when you're in that far most folks go ahead & replace shift shaft seal, along with quad seal, spacer and fifth gear seal as well as IPB & race, IPB seal and jack shaft seal. Are you sure it's still leaking out either the jack shaft seal or IPB seal that you replaced? If so, are you sure you put them in right-side-out? Did you seal those center bolts that secure the inner chain case to tranny?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Odds are good you have made one of the most common errors putting that inner primary main seal in. One side of that seal says "TOWARD OIL / OIL SIDE". It installs backwards to what you think for most common seals. It's designed to hold the oil in the primary so it mounts reverse to normal logic.

I know it's a PITA to tear down the entire inner and outer primary again.

Be certain to come back and tell us what fixed it!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
kenNH
1st Gear

After taking the inner chain case half off I took it to the Harley Dealer (perhaps that was my mistake) Had them press out the old bearing and seal and press in all new. I'm pretty sure it's chain case oil that's come out. Only leaks when parked just after a ride. Once wiped clean it doesn't continue to drip.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM
kenNH
1st Gear

I have a center mounted shifter and replaced the o-rings on that. Yup did the jack shaft seal. When I had everything off and I could see the tranny there was no sign of any seal leaks from tranny seal area. Now when I look at what I can see and feel around I'm not getting a sense it's coming from anywhere but the chain case tranny shaft.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's exactly what mine did. it builds up no the back of the inner primary and then when parked left like a quarter size puddle of oil.

Attached Thumbnails Chain case oil leak-seal.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
kenNH
1st Gear

JohnnyC I think you're on to something. When I got the case back from the dealer (didn't want to punch out the bearing myself) I looked it over and if that seal was in correctly I think I would have thought it was FU. I got a new seal today and yup it don't look like what your are used to when popping in new wheel bearings.
Gonna pull it all apart Saturday. We'll let you know what happens