Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FXDC oil use question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 2012 FXDC oil use question

Curious, my 2012 FXDC has 3000 miles on it, I did the 1k service changing the oil and using conventional HD oil. Since then I have to add about 3 ounces of oil every 1000 miles and it seems when like the level will drop at once. I check the oil every fuel up and it's ok and then it needs some oil to bring the hot level to just above half way. Any other Dyna owners experience this?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to engines 101!
All internal combustion piston engines burn oil! All of them! There are those that will swear over and over that their engine burns absolutely no oil! Were this true, then their engine isn't long for this world! Some burn more than others due to various factors! One being, how the engine was broken in! If you take a V twin Harley for example, a large displacement air cooled engine, and baby it (low RPM and light loads for the first 1500 or so) the rings will not seat to the cylinder walls and that engine will be a poor performer and burn lots of oil! If you take the same engine and get on a mountain road...climbing and descending, slowing for turns and pulling out briskly and allowing it to cool down some every half hour, it will seat the rings right away and burn normal oil thru out its life. What is NORMAL? On a 302 Ford, it was 6 to8 oz. every 3000 miles. Some more...some less!! I have no idea what it would be for a Big Twin...sorry! The same rules apply however! Oh...NEVER lug any engine, Harley or not!
You are mid to upper normal I would say, IMO.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't top off the oil and keep an eye on it to se if it continues to go down in level- or if it just stays at that level.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99%r
Don't top off the oil and keep an eye on it to se if it continues to go down in level- or if it just stays at that level.
What he said! All engines have their own oil comfort zone too much and they spit it out or burn it off. IDfatbob has good information as well and they are both along the same lines of thinking. My question to you, does it seem to dump oil out of the breathers? Or in other words do you notice the oil goes down a lot after twisting the throttle hard? Any blue smoke coming out when the engine is cold - or hot? But your not burning tons of oil, 3 ounces times three your at 1/4 of a quart and nearly due for oil change. I think your fine. have you tried filling it to the full cold mark and see what happens?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

I try to keep the level at the cold fill mark,which makes it 3 marks down from the full when hot (see pic for hot level I try to maintain.). Today it was almost 4 marks down. There is some oil in the breathers but not a lot and not running out of the filter. The plugs look good and I don't see blue smoke. Usually notice a more drastic drop after riding 2 up.
I will try letting it drop and seeing if it stabilizes there. I just get a little nervous when the oil gets below half on the dipstick hot, maybe I am just paranoid.
Thanks for all the advise. I don't remember my sportsters being so hard to keep the oil level steady.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 PM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are over thinking it. You do not have a problem. Put good syn oil in and enjoy the ride. These are good bikes with good motors. Stop worrying about a little oil. Its good to check it but it sucks the fun out of riding when you have to worry about every little thing.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

To the OP, my Street Gikde does the same thing. The Street Bob stays at the full line. I just keep an eye on it and ride.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My 09 VRSCF did the same thing. I switched over to Amsoil one spring and never added a drop all season. It's all I run now in my Dyna as well.
Not trying to push or brag up Amsoil just sharing what happened.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

3 oz/ added every 1,000 miles? That's 15 oz over a 5,000 mile service interval. Less than a pint.

You are ahead of what most guys here are using, so go ride your bike!

( And you can check your oil every 1,000 miles or so now that you know that...)

Old 05-26-2013, 08:22 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob
If you take a V twin Harley for example, a large displacement air cooled engine, and baby it (low RPM and light loads for the first 1500 or so) the rings will not seat to the cylinder walls and that engine will be a poor performer and burn lots of oil!
^^^^ Well, I don't know if I agree with that. I've owned several brand new Harleys, and I've "babied" them during break in, and NONE of them ever "burned lots of oil" or were "poor performers".

Quick Reply: 2012 FXDC oil use question