Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Advice on clutch adjustment

Hi all, needing some advice on doing a clutch adjustment on my 2012 FatBob and my gf's 2013 Street Bob. I have the manual, I have all the tools. Primary fluid in both bike changed around the 1K mark with genuine H-D Formula + filled to spec.

Per the manual, it states to loosen the clutch cable until there is plenty of slack in the lever. I then remover the derby cover, and back off the clutch adjuster lock nut.

Then Im supposed to back out the adjuster screw then run in the screw by hand until it stops in the clutch pack. I then need to back the adjuster screw out by 1/2-3/4 turn.

Once that is set, i take a stepped wrench and while holding the adjuster screw in place tighten the adjuster lock nut. Once its snug, i take a torque wrench and torque the lock nut to 75-120 in-lbs. Reinstall cover and adjust clutch cable.

******** ADVICE NEEDED**********

Do you guys set the back off turns of the adjuster screw to 1/2 turn or 3/4 turn? The clutch feels solid with full holding power against the engine at the 1/2 back off.

My gf feels like the clutch engagement should be in the middle of the clutch lever throw and was wondering if the extra 1/4 back off (to the 3/4 back out spec) would put the engagement point where she wants it.

My issue is the shifter feels sloppy, and the primary feels ... like there is freeplay. I dont know if its clutch related, but sometimes I get a weak engagement into first, or while downshifting to a stop, the shifter wont grab the gear and I have to let the clutch out halfway to get it to catch into a gear. that issue is intermittent but happens often enough that it gets annoying.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always go with 1/2. Try it and see if she likes it at 3/4!

Can't help with your second problem through. That would sketch me out for sure. Hope you find an answer.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go with the 1/2 myself. I tried it once at 3/4, but I didn't like the feel as you have stated. You probably already know this, but make sure the clutch pack is at room temp before you attempt to adjust. Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you do the adjustment while it's warm?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Adjust as you have, you can go with whatever is comfortable as long as it's between 1/2 and 3/4 out. Then adjust the clutch lever using the adjuster in the cable so you have 1/16-1/8 free play at where the cable enters the lever perch. About the thickness of a nickel.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Dogg80
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you do the adjustment while it's warm?
Your clutch adjustment will be off and it will slip while under power. The 1/2 backoff turn will not be accurate do to the added heat. At least that is what happened to mine.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QC
Adjust as you have, you can go with whatever is comfortable as long as it's between 1/2 and 3/4 out. Then adjust the clutch lever using the adjuster in the cable so you have 1/16-1/8 free play at where the cable enters the lever perch. About the thickness of a nickel.

I agree, it sounds like you want to adjust the clutch lever. Use the nickle size. Pull the cable at the housing until there is a nickle of freeplay

Attached Thumbnails Advice on clutch adjustment-nickle.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I back off the adjuster a 1/2 turn after contact. Check out youtube, they have lots of videos on clutch adjustment.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Good info, I am going to do the Andrews 30T install next week so I will be doing the clutch adjustment as part of the mod.

Question: After turning the adjuster screw inward till it is just touching and before backing it out 1/2 to 1 full turn(my HD SM has 1 turn as max instead of 3/4) the SM says to "Activate the clutch lever to verify the ***** are seated in the ramps". What are you feeling or not feeling to verify the ***** are seated?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. What are you feeling or not feeling to verify the ***** are seated?

Quick Reply: Advice on clutch adjustment