Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change your own tires?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM
parrettdl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change your own tires?!

So, its that time to get new tires, so I priced around and most of the local shops want 70/axle to change my tires.

between that and the cost of the actual tire, im looking at 450-500 all together : \

I've seen posts from people changing their own tires, and I have a manual so I can see what all is involved, but i'm wondering how feasible it is.

the main thing that concerns me is the alignment and getting the right clearance with the calipers, etc...

im not a mechanic. I only have a basic tool set and would need to buy a jack (or something), tire irons, etc, but I have a garage and I can do basic mechanical stuff (like oil changes).

should I just leave it to the shop, or does it only look harder than it actually is?

I really cant shell out all that right now, and don't feel safe riding with the tires as they are. if it comes down to it im going to have to put it up for storage until finances allow.

thoughts?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Notz
Cruiser

500 for tires? do you use golden tires? and im usually in the same boat though when it comes to tire time... hint... only change the rear it gets beat up more than the front

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

The last 4 tires I have bought were put on by the shop/store as part of the purchase price. These were for metrics, but at the time of purchase the person that sold me the tire had no idea what I was riding.

He(they) just said pull around back and the shop people would put the new tire on. You may want to check the SOP in your area at various places that sell tires.

Ron

Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taking my back wheel off and letting my local shop put on a tire I bought through motorcycle superstore, but he stopped putting on tires unless u buy it from him.. I did and it cost me 250 for back tire in September and I had taken the wheel off and the old tire. what he got was a rim all it needed was a new tire. needed a front tire 2 months ago and bought one again through MSS along with tire tools (spoons) for under 150 bucks oh and some dyna beads too. I had already made me a bead breaker and made a holder from an old 14 inch chevy wheel...worked like a charm. worst part was putting the dyna beads in through the valve stem. next time i'll put em in as I put the tire on the rim.....not that big of a job, if you've ever changed tires on any vehicle before.....oh yeah,,,you'll need about a 3 inch tie down ratchet strip to compress the top of the tire as you air it up....that can be a PITA>>>>>

Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed that you get more mileage out of the front. Just did my back and the front is fine. I wanted to save money so ordered from superstore for 150. Removed my old wheel and brought the new tire to the dealer and they swapped it. I took the pulley and brake disc off which was pointless. First they told me they couldn't balance it without them on but then said they could. When I got it home I put it on a balancing stand and checked it, then put the pulley and disc on, stayed the same. It wasn't balanced properly, balanced it myself but had to remove some of their weights and add my own at a different spot. Put it all back together no problem, caliper needed nothing and I made some alignment plugs and the tool but didn't change much since I marked my adjusters and counted the turns before I loosened the wheel up. Bought the belt tension tool just to check bit it was pretty much bangon too. I took the fender off too when I was back there too.

Leave your front tire until the sides start to crack if it still has tread.

You'll need a jack and the 36mm socket for the axle nut, and a torque wrench. Don't do anything with the shocks or footpegs.

Last edited by cee; 06-22-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Change your own tires?!

NO THANKS! lol

Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been doing mine for years. using this bead breaker but longer pieces and tire irons. No straps for bead seating necessary. You need to be mechanically inclined or work with someone until you get it. After a few it'll take 1/2 to change the rubber each tire.
Look for an online discount tire dealer, and you can get by much cheaper.

Went years without balancing. Then switched to dyna beads. Which balance the tire as soon as it starts rolling. It's smoother at speed now. Hope it's Ok to post a link to you tube. If not some one please correct me I will edit this post. Some people don't like the beads, but then you can find people who don't like anything. They have advantages that out weigh the disadvantages.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI...Amazon sells the new Pirelli's, bought a set last week, front and rear total $249
Around here mounting and balancing is $74 total.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Eagle_1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a set of tires for my Dyna from JPcycles that were delivered to my door for $234. The local dealer installed them, greased the bearings, new tubes and liners for $150. It was worth it to me.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM
e_minor_pentatonic
Cruiser

I change mine all the time. I use 2 0z of dyna beads per tire to balance.
I buy my tires here:
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../329-1822.aspx
I use a bead breaker I got from amazon.com
Motorcycle Tire Changer Bead Breaker Tool (Suzuki, Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha) : Amazon.com : Automotive Motorcycle Tire Changer Bead Breaker Tool (Suzuki, Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha) : Amazon.com : Automotive
I also have a NOMAR Bar which is a great help:
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/prod...-mdbar-std.htm
You might also wan to check out this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...l-removal.html
It you buy the tools you'll save enough in 2 changes to pay for them. Don't be scared it's not that hard, and it's a great way to save some $. Just be patient the first time you do it.

Quick Reply: Change your own tires?!