Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering my Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Cardstang
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailering my Dyna?

Thoughts on an economical solution for a trailer so I can bring my ride along.

Lowe's has a 5x8 mesh trailer for $669. Can these support a motorcycle OK? The 12 inch tires seem a little small, but the payload capacity is well over the weight of my Dyna.

One of the reviewers mentioned hauling motorcycles without any issues.

Just wondering what my best and most economical options will be.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont do it!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Cardstang
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Reasons?

Because I should be riding it instead of hauling it? I can understand that, but there may be times when we go on vacation as a family and it would just make more sense to pull it rather than ride separately.

If it's because it's risky, please explain.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd never use a trailer like that for my bike. If you have a u-haul store around, go look at their motorcycle specific trailer. Not necessarily for renting but for an idea of what you want use. Something else you might want to consider is if you want an enclosed trailer.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same trailer but mine has the 13 inch wheels (I recommend larger wheels). I bought it at Tractor Supply for $649.

I have trailered my Street Bob on it between Martinsburg, WV and Myrtle Beach, SC (500+ miles each way) over 12 times without any issues and I don't even use a wheel chock for the front wheel. My Expedition pulls it like its not even back there, even at 80+ MPH on I-95. As a matter of fact, I will be trailering down to Myrtle Beach for the week of July 4th, next Friday!

I recommend the Daddy Mack tow straps. http://www.daddymack.net/index.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48293060,d.dmg

I use 2 Daddy Mack straps on the front and some regular ratchet straps on the rear swingarm for stabilization. Only the 2 Daddy Macks are needed though.

Here is a pic I found from Summer 2011. I have a 6inch drop hitch to level it out.

Update: Don't worry about the naysayers. This trailer works fine for hauling a Dyna. I did cover the mesh floor with plywood but that is only because I use it to haul mulch for landscaping around my house. I store my trailer in my garage year round. I just push it to the furthest corner of the garage and store all the kids bikes and toys and snowblower on it when I am not using it. It has come in handy many times.

Last edited by jmeiers; 06-22-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:54 PM
croyalc
Intermediate

I have a trailer very similar to that one. 2 years ago (before I bought my Dyna) i used that trailer to haul 2 bikes on a 6 hour drive to Deals Gap. Th only issue we ran into all weekend was the flat tire on Sunday before we came back. Went to Tractor Supply, bought a new wheel and tire, made it home fine and ended up with a spare!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Why not check cycle trader or E-bay for a trailer designed for a bike near your area? I bought a pre-owned Kendon single rail, did a mod or two and really like it.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

do some research and you may find a better trailer about the same costs.
There is a trailer sales a few miles from me and you can get a 5x10 with drop down ramp with 15inch tires for under $700. these are one of the best trailers I have ever used.
I traded my 5x10 for a 7x12 and it will hold 2 bikes easy or 3 if one is on backwards.
I use a regular tie down on the rear and wrap it around the wheel and ratchet it firm. This will aid in not having to worry about the front tire being firmly in place. The bike is supported in every direction this way. I use soft tie downs from Harley.
I also use a 4x6 block of wood and place it under the frame so the forks doesn't bottom out. If the forks are bottomed you are putting pressure on the fork bushing which can and will cause the seals to leak.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 06-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess it is up to the individual what kind of trailer you want, but for me I spent a little bit more and got a enclosed 5x10 and bought the Lock-N-Load wheel chock. It secures the front of the bike snuggly without putting unneeded pressure on the fork seals. All the way to Florida and back with out any slippage and the bike was clean and ready to ride once there.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

I recommend going to home depot and getting the same trailer but with a wood deck and then putting some truck bed liner on it. The mesh tends to flex and bend and will rust. Its the same price.

Quick Reply: Trailering my Dyna?