Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: progressive 444 series shock 12 inch for FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: progressive 444 series shock 12 inch for FXDB

Im taking the bike out for a long ride in the turns tomorrow and Im hoping to get the shock adjusted for the best ride. So far I am not impressed.

For this being one of progressives best offerings I have been noticing a lot more back and forth motion in my bikes rear end since I changed over to this shock. I was getting too much rebound as my stock shocks were wearing out but they were much more comfortable and actually handled better.

I got a rear end wobble at 80 mph in a turn today and that has never happened before. If I have to put the stock shocks back on I am not going to be happy. I have read many reviews of these shocks here and many people love them.

If I can get the adjustment right and get the sway out of the rear end ill post again. I am going to call progressive on monday and see if they have any suggestions just to be fair. For a 600 dollar shock I think you can do better. I will post again tomorrow after the ride for a final opinion.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Oh. Just got mine. 13" for superglidesport. Let you know what happens after install.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fxdx2k
Oh Oh. Just got mine. 13" for superglidesport. Let you know what happens after install.
hopefully you have better luck than I am having with mine. post up your results after install and ill post again tomorrow after a longer shake down run. I hate it when new parts dont work as advertised but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt till I try some more adjustments.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 AM
300Slim
Road Captain

My ride is in the shop having cam work done. I'll run the 444's over and have the install done by the dealer. That way I'll have someone to blame.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:03 AM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried increasing the preload? I have the progressive 412 normal duty 11". I have to put them on the hardest preload, but then everything runs quite well i think.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Update: these are definitely a good news bad news shock. the good: the faster you go the better they handle. Really shocks for those that like to scream through the twisties. Dragged my footpegs today during my shakedown ride. I did tighten them down to the 2nd line and even though they rattle my teeth going over railroad tracks they seem to be getting better with use. Anyone who really pushes there bikes will love these shocks.

The Bad: if you loosen them up enough to absorb the lousy road they dont handle very well . They seem to be either a "tighten them up" shock or they do not run at there best. I will live with the jarring but it will take some getting used to . The shocks definitely show the limitations elsewhere in the suspension. If you just want to cruise id stick with stock. For foot dragging handling they do the job. Footnote: after I adjusted them tighter the sloppiness in the rear end does go away. One thing also to get used to. The handling is so different from stock you just sort of move your body and the bike goes where you point it. I would recommend a complete suspension upgrade if your going to do this . AKA front end springs or recor intiminators. Hope this review helps.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fxdx2k
You should be ok with longer shocks .. I think more shock travel will definitely help out . They do an awesome job in the twistie type roads. They will also show the limitations of your stock front end. I hope you like them. They do let you haul *** on the bike.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

People either love Progressive or hate em.

For whats its worth, you can find the 444s on Ebay for $500, I found the 970s for $650. I had Ricors before and for the price, 970s are far better.

Next up is to improve the front end as notice the sloppiness a lot more now.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
300Slim
Road Captain

Originally Posted by missedem
hopefully you have better luck than I am having with mine. post up your results after install and ill post again tomorrow after a longer shake down run. I hate it when new parts dont work as advertised but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt till I try some more adjustments.
Their working for you that's good news. Right now my new 440's are worth more than my bike. Engine is kaput. Still waiting for them to come up with a few quotes on a replacement motor. Stay tuned. and oiled.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry to hear about your bike. hopefully they will get another engine in that beast and you can get to riding again. I am finding out that these shocks seem to have a break in period. they are getting better with some use. pretty happy about that , it would have sucked to have to sell them on ebay.

Quick Reply: RE: progressive 444 series shock 12 inch for FXDB