Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with throttle grip/cables

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
civilbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with throttle grip/cables

I am having a problem with my throttle grip and or cables on my 06 street bob. when my bike is off my throttle has the correct amount of freeplay and when you twist and release it springs back to where it should. when the bike is running and you twist the throttle and release it springs back to where it should but you can twist it back another half a turn. so when you grab for the brake or slow down your hand naturally turns the throttle grip past where it should stop and then when you go to twist the throttle again it doesnt grab where it should, it takes that half a turn plus the amount of freeplay before any gas is actually applied and makes it a little sketchy especially with a passenger or when you or taking off uphill. Anyone have any ideas? I have a 16' ape setup with burly cables but this problem also occured when my setup was stock. thanks

Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by civilbob
I am having a problem with my throttle grip and or cables on my 06 street bob. when my bike is off my throttle has the correct amount of freeplay and when you twist and release it springs back to where it should. when the bike is running and you twist the throttle and release it springs back to where it should but you can twist it back another half a turn. so when you grab for the brake or slow down your hand naturally turns the throttle grip past where it should stop and then when you go to twist the throttle again it doesnt grab where it should, it takes that half a turn plus the amount of freeplay before any gas is actually applied and makes it a little sketchy especially with a passenger or when you or taking off uphill. Anyone have any ideas? I have a 16' ape setup with burly cables but this problem also occured when my setup was stock. thanks
Here is what my mechanic buddy just did on mine cause we were installing the cruise-mate and had to take of the throttle cables. After installing the cables back onto the grip, adjusted each cable (one at a time) until the throttle snapped back smoothly and fully (we were watching the butterfly valve in the throttle body to verify this). Checked the snap back with the handlebars straight, fully to the left, and fully to the right. When the handlebars were to the right, had to adjust the idle cable a little more.

When the throttle rolled back the way it was suppose to in all directions on each cable I have very little free play left. Actually I would prefer just a bit more free play, but it is better than too much free play so I am leaving it as is.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM
civilbob
Cruiser

mine does exactly what it should when bike is off. so it seems adjusted properly. but when running the throttle snaps back to its closed position like normal when bike was off, but then can be twisted back more(about half a turn) with your wrist. so when you roll off the throttle and grab the front brake, the next time you go for the gas you have a little more than this half turn before there is any throttle response.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mine does exactly what it should when bike is off. so it seems adjusted properly. but when running the throttle snaps back to its closed position like normal when bike was off, but then can be twisted back more(about half a turn) with your wrist. so when you roll off the throttle and grab the front brake, the next time you go for the gas you have a little more than this half turn before there is any throttle response.
I understand what you are saying, but its crazy that would happen. It would almost be that your cables are longer when the bike is running than when the bike is off...

I have a 14" apes and a 14" burly cable kit which is actually too long and there is a fine line between me having a lot of play in the throttle to where it is now with virtually no play.

The only thing I could think of bro is to start the bike and turn it left and right to make sure your idle rpm's dont change to totally rule out the adjustment issue.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
civilbob
Cruiser

I will try the left and right thing tomorrow but 99% sure thats not it. It actually makes the bike a little hard to ride cuz you never know how much you need to twist your wrist before the bike applies throttle.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing is to check your star nut under the grip, it is there to lock the throttle have you made sure it's completely loose? Are you running a tuner on your bike?
Re-reading your post it sounds like maybe you did not get one of the cables fully into the plastic guide on the inside of the grip.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I will try the left and right thing tomorrow but 99% sure thats not it. It actually makes the bike a little hard to ride cuz you never know how much you need to twist your wrist before the bike applies throttle.
for sure don't ride it like that....

Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
civilbob
Cruiser

I will check the star nut but im pretty sure its loose. Also no tuner on the bike. And im thinking the cable must be on right since the throttle operates normal when the bike is off. And this also happened before the bar swap with the old set of grips.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Rog6679
Advanced

It sounds like your idle cable isn't adjusted right

Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog6679
It sounds like your idle cable isn't adjusted right
+1 on this.