Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mount license plate kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Bibber48
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Side mount license plate kit

I had the kit P\N 60978-10 installed to get rid of the tail light on my 2010 Street Bob. When I go for a ride now the plate folds back flat against the bike. Is there an adjustment on the detent spring that holds the plate out. I don't want the state troopers stopping me for the plate not being readable.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 AM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's supposed to fold forward. If its folding back then they installed it incorrectly.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Bibber48
Cruiser

I called Harley customer service today and explained the problem. They were real nice and said they are sending out another mount under warranty.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
SE Rider
Advanced

I had the same problem with one fitted to mine. Took it back and got my money back on it... Decided to go with the DK Customs version and very pleased i did too...

Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Eugene18111976
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SE Rider
I had the same problem with one fitted to mine. Took it back and got my money back on it... Decided to go with the DK Customs version and very pleased i did too...
Could you please give a link to DK Customs plate you installed.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Bibber48
Cruiser

Just got off the phone with the dealer. They say the new plate mount does the same thing as the old one. I called Harley customer service and they said the dealer had to call tech support to see if the plate mount was designed to fold back at highway speeds. Who would make a plate mount to fold so you can't see the plate while riding down the road? I am waiting to hear back from the dealer as to what excuse Harley has now. My dealer is really good and I think this will be fixed but it is just frustrating to buy a part that is supposed to be designed right and it is bad twice.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Bibber48
Cruiser

Ok, we figured it out. On the plate mount part that swivels there is a detent slot cut for the spring to push a metal rod into to hold the plate so it is visible. During manufacture the parts are powder coated and the slot was filled in so the rod couldn't catch in it. The powder coat was so thick you couldn't see the slot. Once we removed the powder coating it stiffened right up. A little touch up paint and it looks and works fine.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Bibber48
Cruiser
Default Side mount license plate

Well I thought the problem was fixed but it is not. Yesterday when on Hwy 80 the plate swung back again so it was not readable. I don't know how fast you have to go to get it to swing back but at 65-70 it folds straight back. Does anyone have an idea how to fix it besides taking it off and getting a different one.
If you had the same problem and returned your part please post that, I might need that for a return part argument.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
DanoNexis
Stage I

Hey, I have just joined this forum so I can reply to your post.

Just picked up my first Harley 2 days ago ( well apart from the buell, but thats a different thing altogether ). Anyways, I got the foldable side mounted licence plate holder installed as an extra, went out on a charity bike run yesterday and experienced the same problem you are having. It seems as soon as the wind catches it, or you accelerate slightly hard, it folds. I thought it might be because the dealer put too much grease on the foldable joint so i cleaned all the visible stuff off and it still folds far too easy.

Please keep me up to date on how you get on.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weld it in place.

Quick Reply: Side mount license plate kit