Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Harley here! Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
matt_1233
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Harley here! Exhaust Question

Hi there, I just got my new 2013 Street Bob in from the dealer about a week ago. I've got 800 kms on it already and am loving it! I HD-1 custom ordered it with the 103" motor, forward controls, and the sunglo red color. Anyways, I'm thinking of pipes. I like the torque and roll on power of this motor. Am I gonna lose any low end torque with a set of VH Big Radius 2-2 pipes and an air cleaner? To my mechanical knowledge once you open up the air and reduce back pressure to a motor you loose low end and gain top end. Now with the above set up with appropriate ecm tune am I gonna lose low end power? I dont really care weather I gain much, just don't wanna LOOSE!

I'm coming from jap 4cyl bikes so Ive turned into a big of a torque junkie with this bike. Most of my rpm range is 2200 rpms to 3200 rpm. 4200 is as high as I've gotten under hard acceleration. I know the VH Big Radius 2-1 is prob what I'm looking for but I dont like the looks and am hearing they are on the quiet side. I LOVE the sounds and looks of the 2-2 pipes! I'm thinking SE 255 cams will be sure for next season.

Interested to hear your input. Thanks!

-Matt

Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So as far as the pipes yes you will lose a little low end but its not really that much. Putting the 255 cams in will take care of that and you will regain your low end. I personally was looking at the V&H as well but then decided on some Python Throwbacks as I was going to the more club look and didnt want chrome or the full heat shields. They are throaty and truly awesome pipes. The smell and smoke from the 1st few miles sux but after that truly amazing pipes for the price.

Last edited by socialoutcast; 06-27-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you add a pipe and intake with a new map, you will gain power. The stock setup runs lean to meet EPA regulations. The pipe, intake and tune opens up some additional performance by simply making the engine run more efficiently (not fuel efficiency, but performance efficiency.) The performance increases will be throughout the rev range.

That said, 2-1 pipes provide better performance than 2-2 pipes, but both aftermarket pipes provide performance increases over stock when combined with the less-restricted intake and the new map.

Make sense?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ what he said. Also, there is a ton of pipes to choose from. If you dont like the looks of a VH 2-1. look at thunderheader, D&D, bassani, or anything else really...
Lots of choices out there...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:40 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats and welcome bro! Solid scoot ya got there. You've got a bunch of great advise so far, not much more to say. If you do go with a 2-2, I'd advise a set of BCT baffles. :-)

Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
matt_1233
6th Gear

Ok I'd like to clear it up. I'm hearing two seperate answers. Will I lose low end with a full stage one with 2-2 pipes? I do understand the motor is tuned lean for emissions. It feels "choked" down when I ride in my opinion. Normally loud pipes give you the mental hp gain anyways lol. I'm not gonna be a dyno number junkie or anything. I just hate to flatten my lowend out when I never really rev above 3500 for my regular daily driving.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
matt_1233
6th Gear

How about fuel mileage after full stage one? I rode really easy at about 65 mph the one day. I calculated 52 mpg. Now before you harp on me remember I'm from Canada. Thats Imp gallons we use, not US. So you guys prob see more like 42ish..

Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I gained about 30% more hp and torque doing my stage 1...it really wakes up the bike. I gained low end torque bigtime. I'm running V&H propipe and it isn't quiet. If you don't like the 2-1 than V&H big shots are great 2-2 pipes and are very tuneable and close to 2-1 pipe performance.

I only get about 35MPG average but I run it pretty hard and even cruise about 75-80.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I gained about 30% more hp and torque doing my stage 1...it really wakes up the bike. I gained low end torque bigtime. I'm running V&H propipe and it isn't quiet. If you don't like the 2-1 than V&H big shots are great 2-2 pipes and are very tuneable and close to 2-1 pipe performance.

I only get about 35MPG average but I run it pretty hard and even cruise about 75-80.
^ this right here. The key is the tune. Slapping on just pipes and an air cleaner is not going to net you low end or even improve performance really. Get a solid tune after and your power band will be a really nice curve. Low end with 2-2 I would expect to kick in around 2200 - 2300 where with a 2-1 you can get that down to about 1900-2000. Are the #s for power huge between 2-2 and 2-1 not really if you have a great tune.

As for fuel I normally est about 5-6 mpg change from stages. So stage 1 look at losing about 5mpg since it will be un corked and run a little fatter. Its nothing huge or really even noticeable. I hit the pump every 160 miles anyway because I am ****.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_1233
How about fuel mileage after full stage one? I rode really easy at about 65 mph the one day. I calculated 52 mpg. Now before you harp on me remember I'm from Canada. Thats Imp gallons we use, not US. So you guys prob see more like 42ish..
If A full stageI ever makes you lose power, someone is doing something wrong.

Fuel mileage is always going to depend on how hard you twist the throttle. You have already said you never go over 3500 rpm so you will get fantastic fuel mileage. The question I like to ask is "Who cares about a little extra gas when your having this much fun!?"

Quick Reply: Brand New Harley here! Exhaust Question