Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
joederr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passengers

Hey everyone!

I have a 2003 Dynamic Wide Glide, owned since 2008, but a lot of "in storage" time. I recently poured in almost a grand in scheduled maintenance, new tire, and oil change etc.

I have not ridden more than I have ridden since I bought the bike, but I am determined to flip-flop that.

My question is passengers. I know kids (teens) get a bike and friends just jump on and they go.. I want to do that.. My wife is an experienced passenger from her ex-husband, they rode all over the US.

I guess my question is how do you start with the passenger experience w/o having a passenger? Maybe I need to grow a set and just QUICKLY learn balance with her on the bike and go. Her ex had passengers before so when she was with him, it was nothing for her to just get on and they went. So she doesn't have any ideas for me.

May sound silly but 1. I don't want to hurt anyone (her or me) 2. I don't want to hurt the bike. So is it like when you learn to ride, you just 'do it' or is there some tricks and tips?

Any help or stories would be most helpful!

We are planning (or dreaming) of bike trips, one of our first will be to Savanna Ga, we live in The Fl panhandle.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't have any problems with an experienced passanger. It's the unexperienced you have to be careful with.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
joederr
6th Gear
Default Thx

That's what she said too.. But she said "when you are ready" and that is what I am trying to determine.. :/

Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
You won't have any problems with an experienced passanger. It's the unexperienced you have to be careful with.
Exactly! She might be more worried about you! In general, when you get used to them, you won't even notice they're back there. Every once in awhile, I touch my wife's leg, just to make sure she's there.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
joederr
6th Gear

Haha .. Exactly, she probably is more worried about me, but she is ready any time.

So it's just a do it and see.. :/ yikes

Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
ringofld
Tourer

With a good passenger I only notice when they are climbing on or climbing off.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it is your mind set that is the problem.
You are thinking in a negative way.
I suggest going to a parking lot, church, school etc.. that is not in use and practice doing 2 up. You will soon see that other than the extra weight when she gets on or off there is very little difference. Depending on your bike you may notice a power drop but that is normal.
Think positive.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ride with wife all the time. I understand how you feel, as I am responsible for her while she is on back. I just tone it down as much as possible and take it real easy. I would hate to crash and have her get hurt, or worse, but she loves it and realizes the risk is always there. Just take it easy.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

What everybody says. I am a lot like u...have not had a passenger in a lot of years. Have been riding but other peoples stuff. Wife wanted to jump on the other day and i was a little hesitant as she had not been with me in over 20 years on a bike. Only thing diff was stopping at lights and stuff. The rest was fine. Oh and i do find myself riding like a ole b stard LOL Helmet on LOL Wifes sometimes are a good thing. Just get up real early on a sunday morning before the idiots and dont fret It will be fine.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
SteelWill
Intermediate

I think of it as riding in the rain, slower stops and easy on shifting gears. I had to teach mine to ride with me it didn't take long. A few times of me screaming lean with me!!!! I would be trying to lean in to a turn and she would try to stay up and that left me fighting the bike to turn and what she was doing was making the bike wont to keep going straight.

Quick Reply: Passengers