Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my Dyna... (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Rebuilding my Dyna... (pic heavy!)

...and I'm back!

So anyways, as most of you know or remember my bike has gone through quite some hardships...here's the story.

I bought this bike last year. It was wrecked and it was up for auction, that's how I got it. (it's one of the best way to get a good deal when you live overseas like I do)

After turning the wrench on it for a few weeks, it was up and running, tearing through the curvy roads of my country Honduras, I kept the ape hangers, got a new seat and a locally made sissy bar...

A couple months later, I got rid of the apes (well, I still have 'em) put on Z-bars and 16' rim on the front. I was going for a more bobber post-apocalyptic look.

Sadly, on February 23rd, I had a wreck...a bad one.

My face took the worst part of the hit, as I was wearing a 3/4 (open face) helmet...my cheekbones were broken, and I needed reconstructive surgery, which I had 14 days later...

They put screws and plates to realign my bones. Doctors said the broken shards should've left me blind; thankfully, that is not the case...

My bike was ruined, at the least the front end...my rim was bent out of shape, Z-bars were bent, my forks and triple tree destroyed, my tank dented and my regulator had some cracked fins...

With the help from the my brothers and other local MC's, funds were raised and spare parts were donated...truly a beautiful thing.

A friend gave me two rims...a 21'' for the front and a 16'' for the back. I also got a rear fender bib with skulls screws (pretty cool if you ask me)

I bought forks from eBay, through Pinwall Cycles, timely delivery and the right part! It's a front end for a 2000 Wide Glide, in case I want to go back to the wide front tire again...

Here's the components being put together while the bike was on the jack...

The battery died, and since the only dealer in Honduras had no available batteries, I bought an Asian equivalent (not a sealed one though)...besides, the dealer here doesn't service imported bikes...shame on them.

The left pedal had to be welded to the frame since the bolt broke and it was too hard to extract...

There's also a little sillicone on the primary case, since it's bent and leaks...I guess I gotta buy a used one...

This is my bike now. It has a Mustang Solo seat, and straight black risers with a 21'' spoked rim on the front. I like the look, kind of Frisco style if you ask me...

Naturally, I use a full face helmet now...though every now and then I use my old one...

So yeah, I'm back on the road now! It's good to be back.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow great stuff

More importantly how are YOU going, recovery wise?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for asking! I'm doing fine. The swelling on my face is pretty much gone now, it's almost as it never happened. I'm just thankful I didn't lose a limb or something, and that I'm well enough to get back on the saddle!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good to see you back in the saddle again. From the way you looked, God was watching over you and said it wasn't your time.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you are doing so well, nice job on getting your bike up and running again. No more accident threads!!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Andrew17019
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are doing alright, how fast we're you going when you wrecked?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 PM
seethesvt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the whitewall tire! But, unfortunately, your front tire is on backwards...

Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 PM
AussieTX
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad to hear you're well, bike is looking awesome.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Retire the old helmet...

Wow man. Glad to see you are recovering well and getting back in the saddle. Props to all the guys who came together to help you out. The bike looks great.

Originally Posted by FXD_noob

Naturally, I use a full face helmet now...though every now and then I use my old one...

Helmets are designed to take ONE impact and then they are basically junk. It sounds like your old helmet has taken its one hit. Retire that thing. It's no more than a head decoration now.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Thanks for asking! I'm doing fine. The swelling on my face is pretty much gone now, it's almost as it never happened. I'm just thankful I didn't lose a limb or something, and that I'm well enough to get back on the saddle!
You are hardcore man. It took me 20 years to get back in the saddle after my wreck. Good on ya!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my Dyna... (pic heavy!)