Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition systems for twin can bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition systems for twin can bikes.

Ok i admit i HATE this EFI Crap. I hate having to spend money on gadgets to try to get it right etc. I am a screwdriver type man. What would be a good system for converting my TW cam motor over so i dont need all this ridiculous computer crap... I like simple so a Carb and a ignition system would thrill me to death. You all dont permit me to say on here where i want shove this ecu and efi stuff.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 AM
onthebrink11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition systems

I have an '03 Wide glide and recently the ignition module took a dump on me. I bought the bike new in September of '02 and have just over 60,000 on the odometer. Since my next step will be to go to a big bore kit or an engine upgrade I thought this would be a good time to replace the ignition module with one that would be able to handle any upgrades I would want to do to the engine down the road. I went with a Daytona Twintek ignition module based on research both online and off and am very satisfied with the performance thus far. As it is programmable it will be able to handle any upgrades I might plan on doing in the future. In your case it seems you will need to invest a lot more to convert from an EFI to a carb based system., I'm sure I don't need to list the parts for you as you sound like you know what you are in for. I would be interested to know if you would need to reconfigure your wiring harness to adapt to a carb based system as I know that was changed in order to work with the EFI all the Dynas were converted to in '04 (I believe). I agree with your assessment of EFI, I am much happier having a carb and being able to wrench on it on my own. Good luck !

Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a nice S&S carb and a MORRIS magneto, that would be awesome too see, I suppose some one out there might be able too help ,, OOPS you also need a kickstart,, I wonder how many Harley riders wouldn't know what that was, *(KICKSTART)

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by loopie
a nice S&S carb and a MORRIS magneto, that would be awesome too see, I suppose some one out there might be able too help ,, OOPS you also need a kickstart,, I wonder how many Harley riders wouldn't know what that was, *(KICKSTART)
Thats for sure Loopie with these bigger and bigger motors and more and more compression it would take a man with a pretty strong leg and some weight behind it to turn these over.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff's 1st Harley
Thats for sure Loopie with these bigger and bigger motors and more and more compression it would take a man with a pretty strong leg and some weight behind it to turn these over.
I remember on an episode of Biker Build Off [Discovery Channel] Billy Lane had made a kickstart system for a huge chopper...bad idea. He was kicking on that thing for days before the engine finally turned over! With the engine sizes that are coming out these days, kickstarts are no longer a viable option.

Back to the topic, I'm glad my bike is carbed. It's a rarity among my friends and fellow riders, and the sweet idle note is unmatched. It's pure nostalgia folks. Besides, since I live overseas, it's easier to work with a carb than with injectors and fuel pumps and whatnot.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer

I love to have a mag for sure. But man i think that be a fabrication nightmare for a twin cam. As far as wiring harness i think it would be just as simple to strip out most of the stock one and build your own to make what you needed to work. Who knows when a i will get to this project i a sure it be a winter time one atleast. But i sure do miss my simple carb bike stuff.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

What is so wrong with your bike that has you frustrated enough to want to dump the EFI? This is my first bike with fuel injection and my second bike with electric start, and while I liked how it was kind of easy to tune and maintain the older bikes, there's a lot I've come to appreciate about this new to me technology.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer

Nevil i think it runs like crap in the closed loop section. And i hate the fact it cost like $800.00 Plus to have it run open loop. Also the simple fact you need map's etc and i aint know no computer guru type either. I guess it was easier to put a old S&S on a bike and fiddle with it. Hell my old evo would clean the clock on this twin cam 88 till it was near top end of the speedo. I know every thing is getting more and more complicated. But for christ sakes is it so hard to make these bikes run good from the factory. That 14.6 AFR is just nut's if you ask me... Freaking ridiculous. I hope some day the fattest and largest doo doo bird ever seen fly's over and poop's on these stupid government reg folk's for messing up good things for us.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a Thunder Heart stand alone ignition on mine. Works well so far. google it.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
71_340
Cruiser

Probably be hard to find an intake for a carb. I grew up with carbs and points and I am glad hey are thing of the past.

I prefer the reliability, easy starts, and economy of EFI. Your bike ran fine for 60K miles, why mess with it (other then replacing the ignition module)? I would leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: Ignition systems for twin can bikes.