Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick license plate mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick license plate mod

So I like the side mount license plate on my '13 street bob, but what I don't like is how far it sticks out. Every now and then when I'm working in the garage I forget how far it sticks out and run into it. Well the plate was kinda bent up a little so yesterday I took it off to straighten it out and came up with an idea. I noticed that the plate holder is actually 2 pieces, so I just unbolted them and mounted the plate vertically. I like the look much better like this versus it mounted horizontally. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but I looked around and didn't notice any threads on it so I decided to post up my findings just in case anyone else wanted to give it a shot.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
switzead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't the law in LA but its illegal in some states to mount ur plate vertically including TX. That hasn't stopped me from doing it though. Looks good.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
FASTnLOUDfxdwg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn how did I not think of that

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

I don't see it being a problem down here. My dad has run his like that for years with out issue.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I did the same thing awhile back. After a couple of highway speed trips, the license plate caught enough air to bend and crack. Almost lost it on my last trip. I have since went back to the horizontal mounting. Just food for thought...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I did the same thing awhile back. After a couple of highway speed trips, the license plate caught enough air to bend and crack. Almost lost it on my last trip. I have since went back to the horizontal mounting. Just food for thought...
I thought about that but I wouldn't think the 5inches it hangs down would have any affect on it. I'll look into rigging up some sort of T bracket for support.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tfalcon
I thought about that but I wouldn't think the 5inches it hangs down would have any affect on it. I'll look into rigging up some sort of T bracket for support.
I did the same thing. I took an old license plate and mounted vertically. I added a couple holes so I could use four bolts. I then used all four bolt holes to mount the new plate...Hope this makes sense. It is much more solid...

Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

You could get a 1/16" flat stock plate (steel or aluminum), shape it to the license plate and four point mount it to the bracket and mount the license plate to it.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by blueangel73
You could get a 1/16" flat stock plate (steel or aluminum), shape it to the license plate and four point mount it to the bracket and mount the license plate to it.
Yeah might be eaiser to do it that way. I ride about 25 miles on interstate goin between 75-80mph and so far it's holding up and doesn't really seem to move, but some extra support wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
That's what I was trying to say. I used an old license plate instead of new stock...

Quick Reply: Quick license plate mod