Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question: Primary Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM
OldTyme
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question: Primary Oil Change

So I decided it was due for an oil change. I noticed a drip in my garage.

Anyways. I drained the primary oil & a lot more than a quart came out (I'd say an extra 1/2 a quart was in there)

1: Does it only take a quart? I can't see any oil anywhere on the clutch plates.

2: Seeing how it was over-full... could that be the reason it was coming out (from somewhere)...I just noticed it dripping from the drain plug...but I don't think it was leaking from there. There was a bit of old oil all around the drain plug.

(01 FXDL)

Thanks for any quick help. I'm not going to ride until I get an answer.

(edit: also..whoever changed the oil last I believe faced the derby cover gasket the wrong way.... but I never noticed any oil leaking from the derby cover itself)

Last edited by OldTyme; 08-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:08 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't some bikes take a little more than a Qt? You can't go wrong if you refill to OE specs for your bike.

P.S. Did you buy a gasket kit? Only $5 at your local dealer.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plug is under the trans shaft. Maybe the oil seal needs replaced. See if the oil is dripping from behind the primary from the back down from the shaft.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM
OldTyme
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when I put it on the jiffy stand I can see oil where it's supposed to be....(my manual says it's supposed to be upright) It also says 32 oz (quart) if dry.
I didn't see the oil level when it was upright on the jack. :\

I did get a new gasket. I will try & go back out there now & see if I can find where that extra oil was coming from.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I had an issue with my bike (2010 Fatbob) which at first glance was an oil leak at the drain plug. Upon further investigation, it was coming from the shift rod seal and running down the back of the primary cover and onto the plug. Worth lying down and seeing if you can get a view. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldTyme
Well when I put it on the jiffy stand I can see oil where it's supposed to be....(my manual says it's supposed to be upright) It also says 32 oz (quart) if dry.
I didn't see the oil level when it was upright on the jack. :\

I did get a new gasket. I will try & go back out there now & see if I can find where that extra oil was coming from.
Just don't see how you can be wrong if you go with OE specs. Probably wouldnt hurt to add just a little more if it looks low ( when checked by OE spec ). But I wouldn't think it would take another 1/2 Qt?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

With bike upright the oil level should just touch the outside diameter of the outer clutch shell.

It won`t hurt a thing if it is a little low, as long as that primary chain touches the lube, everything gets a nice bath of oil.

You might want to check the level in the primary after a few hundred miles to make sure you are not leaking engine oil into the primary.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check if your engine oil is getting low.. I dont know the correct names/words in english, but maybe your engine is leaking at the crankshaft to the primary?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

My 2002 FXD and 2005 FXDLI both take 26 ozs. of oil in the chaincase, that's what the service manual from MOCO states. Been doing that amount for the past 11 years and no problems. The drip of oil could be from the shift shaft seal going into the transmission. If you had over a qt. of oil in the case, it could also be working past the main shaft seals.

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Primary Oil Change