Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - V&H Big Shots - tips, tricks, what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob - V&H Big Shots Installation - tips, tricks, what to look out for?

I just got myself an early bday present and bought V&H Big Shots staggered/black and the Fuel Moto Micro EFI tuner. They get will get to my house before I get home (should be an interesting phone call when the old lady has to sign for them, since she doesn't know I bought them yet)

So, any tips and tricks or gotchas on installing the tuner and the pipes? I am not the most mechanically inclined, but the smaller mods I have made to the bike went fairly smoothly.

Last edited by sigtau150; 08-12-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser

I figure everyone must have been out riding this weekend and that's why I didn't get any responses on the installation I will be doing this weekend, so I figured I would give it a little bump.

I know someone has done this before. The only video I found was on youtube for the Big Radius install, which I am sure is similar.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sigtau150
I figure everyone must have been out riding this weekend and that's why I didn't get any responses on the installation I will be doing this weekend, so I figured I would give it a little bump.

I know someone has done this before. The only video I found was on youtube for the Big Radius install, which I am sure is similar.
When I installed my BigShots, there is a specific sequence on how to tighten down the mounting bolts and head bolts. Do You have a service manual? I found the information in there.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not much response because it's fairly straight forward. The main tricky part on the micro is the tapping of the tps wire because the instructions refer to a wire color that isn't the same on newer bikes. I believe they refer to a green and orange striped wire to tap, but on the newer bikes it is green and purple. Don't quote me on colors, I'm too lazy to walk out and look, but u get the point. It's whatever green striped wire that is connected to the tps. Other than that there is no trick. If ur still getting some decal pop and everything is bolted on properly, then call fuel moto and they will help you adjust the tables in the software. Oh, and one last thing, make sure u replace the gaskets on the headpipe no matter how new the bike is...they crush to fit the particular pipe and if not replaced probably won't seal correctly causing a leak.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
nomoore77
Cruiser

Also make sure to use loctite on the mounting bracket bolts and anti-sieze on the O2 sensor threads

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM
sigtau150
Cruiser

OK good to know it is pretty straight forward. I like to hear that about things that I am trying to work on myself. And good heads up on the wire not having the correct color in the instructions.

So I am assuming that I should install the Micro EFI tuner 1st, since they have their own o2 sensors on it and I will need to remove the ones on the bike. Is that correct?

Also, I see a lot of posts about wearing gloves while installing the pipes Do I really need to do this on the black pipes or is wiping it down before starting fine?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM
hboat
Cruiser

Flowers for the wife. It'll make the installation a whole lot more peaceful...

Old 08-14-2013, 05:34 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

You can do the install in either order. The micro actually doesn't use the O2 sensors at all, so u have to decide if you are going to use bungs, or just put the O2's back in the new pipes and act as bungs. With the micro you will be disconnecting the sensor from the plug and using a terminator plug. If u reuse the sensors as bungs, it makes it easier if you change tuners later so ce you won't have to reroute the wires to put them back on the bike later. As far as gloves to install pipes...no need. Just make sure you clean the pipes well prior to starting for the first time, or u will have oil from your hands baking on the pipes. Just clean the pipes good before firing it up.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
You can do the install in either order. The micro actually doesn't use the O2 sensors at all, so u have to decide if you are going to use bungs, or just put the O2's back in the new pipes and act as bungs. With the micro you will be disconnecting the sensor from the plug and using a terminator plug. If u reuse the sensors as bungs, it makes it easier if you change tuners later so ce you won't have to reroute the wires to put them back on the bike later. As far as gloves to install pipes...no need. Just make sure you clean the pipes well prior to starting for the first time, or u will have oil from your hands baking on the pipes. Just clean the pipes good before firing it up.
Great! Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

No prob

Quick Reply: Street Bob - V&H Big Shots - tips, tricks, what to look out for?