Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 T-Sport / Motor Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 T-Sport / Motor Mod Questions

Thinking about selling my sporty to pick up something built a little better for the long hauls and overall more practical.

I found a 2002 FXDXT with 20,000km (12,000mi) in MINT condition.

Its pretty much bone stock on the outside, minus a few chrome accessories. The guy selling it is the 2nd owner since 2004.

My issue is apparently it had stage 4 motor mods when purchased new from the dealer. The guy can't find any of the paperwork and neither can the dealer.. Not surprising for being 11yrs old.

The dealer did say it was common back then and the typical setup was a big bore 95" kit, flat top pistons, shaved/ported/polished heads, Andrews cams, adjustable ignition, high flow a/c and drilled out exhaust with a straight through baffle installed.

I'm trying to figure out if it is in fact the truth....

I checked out the bike and it is in excellent condition, no leaks or signs of damage.

The only issue he's had is a couple batteries and having to swap the starter with a more powerful one.

It definitely struggles to crank over which makes me believe it is high comp, the heads also look like they've been off before. The bike was cold when I got there and it fired right up.

I also found an adjustable ignition under the seat and the bike has stock exhaust mufflers but the mufflers have a straight through baffle.

It didn't honestly feel that fast when I drove it, but I am comparing it to a lightweight hopped up sporty. Also having a fairing is definitely deceiving too, not having the wind beating you up makes it feel a lot slower.

The ride was great, it was super comfortable and easy to lean over in the corners.

What do you guys think ? True story? Is there anything else I should be looking for on the motor, or the bike itself ?

I was debating getting a newer Dyna Street Bob or Super Glide and converting to that sport "club style" but this thing is already there... It would just need a little work over winter, but nothing too major. Paint, seat, bars, tires, powder coat, etc... Maybe a compression release valve on the heads too.

How would this thing compare to your typical stage 1 96" or 103" ?

Here's some pics I snapped and a quick cell phone video:

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its mechanically sound, I'd go for it. As far as the mods, I'm unsure. But I will say this-I bought a 13 SB with a 103" motor, stage 1. Shortly after, I bought an 01 tsport. If I had bought the tsport first, I wouldn't have bought the SB. I absolutely love the tsport.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM
ottawaair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the identical bike. I don't think mine has been upgraded like you say.
Although, the original owner installed a hydraulic clutch which i found out isnt stock.
Other than that, mine was stock when i bought it.
Same color, same lettering, same bike.
Looks good.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Very nice find...recently sold my T-Sport to another member on here...was a far sportier bike to ride than my current Fat Bob, but had been heavily modded.

If it came from Gasoline Alley origionally, they like Woods cams. Heritage in Edmonton used to use HeadQuarters stuff. Sounds like it should have had comp releases put in. Once again; looks really clean; I'm up north of GP and had my FXDXT for quite a few years...enjoy yours

Attached Thumbnails 2002 T-Sport / Motor Mod Questions-fxdxt-driveway.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

id ****** it up quick if it was priced right....id put some compression releases in the heads if its stage 4.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
hutch08
Road Captain

Thanks guys, sharkey I'm in e-town area but the bike was purchased new from calgary harley.

It would need a compression release for sure.. I've also heard of a gear reduction for the starter to help a high comp motor.

He's asking $12000 obo, seems a little high but this is Alberta and everything is over priced.

It doesn't help there's only 2 t-sports for sale in the entire province.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

if you got the cash, go for it. you wont regret it.......this is the bike everyone wishes theirs was...

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Considering there's a few grand worth of E-bay stuff there; take that off the price and that's what you'd pay if it wasn't a T...very unique bike and very rare, especially in that condition.
As I told one propective buyer when he tried to low ball me on mine: "We have a misunderstanding here; you're looking for a CHEAP dyna and I'm selling a RARE one, guess you better keep looking"
Welch's did my comp release install. Had a HD 1.4 starter.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Yeah no doubt, these things aren't easy to come by which adds some value to it for sure. I've been looking for a while and its definitely the cleanest one I've found.

I know he won't accept a low ball, $11000 is probably the best he'd do which is a good price even if the motor was stock.

I just talked to a local shop that specializes in HD's, they offer a "pre buyer inspection" which includes a run on the dyno. That'll definitely indicate whether or not this thing os stock on the inside or not.

If I can arrange that and it checks out I'd buy it for sure.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Well the bike was in the shop today for its "pre-purchase" inspection.

Spoke with the owner himself that test drove the bike personally.

Everything checks out, but there is a few issues he brought up....

Mainly motor specific, stock tc88 should pull around 60-70 on the dyno with about 160psi compression.

A hopped up 95" should have about 190psi on the cylinders and pull 90-100 on the dyno.

This thing had 225psi on each cylinder! No wonder it's a bitch to start with no conpression release valves.

Pulled 90hp and 107ft lbs of torque on the dyno, this thing is definitely a stage 4.

He did say it detonated slightly if he lugged the engine hard on the dyno at 2000-2500rpm though.

It was running a tad rich but he said extra fuel won't hurt, especially if it detonates.

Besides I have no what octane fuel is in there, or how old it is.

He recommended pulling the heads, installing release valves, adding a thicker head gasket then blueprinting it to lower the overall compression.

He said it runs like a champ, especially if you're riding it hot in the high rpms.

Other than that, rear brakes were 50%, tires 30% and it didn't have a horn..

He said it was a solid bike and worth buying. I'm going to maybe try and use the engine work and tires as leverage to get the price down.

We'll see how that goes. ...

Quick Reply: 2002 T-Sport / Motor Mod Questions