Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy question about FXDWG front end.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Resqguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy question about FXDWG front end.

I'm sure there is no way to make this happen but, I was wondering if there was a way to install a new front end on a wide glide from say a street bob or FXR ? I'm not a fan of the +31 rake. Anyone have ideas ?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were sure there was no way, then you wouldn't have asked now would you?

I installed a 2000 Wide Glide front end on my 2005 Super Glide, bolted right in! Compatibility in front ends isn't that much of a hassle within the same family of models, at least in the earlier years.

It would certainly help if you provided more data...year of your bike, year of the front end you'd like to install, etc.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

your bike has a 32 degree neck , therefore if you did install a different front end as you suggested like a streetbob or fxr you would need longer fork tubes due to the rake , or leave as is and it would lower the front of the bike if that's what you want. but pretty much any front ends with a 1 inch stem will work, in fact I installed a night train front frk on mine with a little grinding of the fork stops

Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Resqguy
I'm not a fan of the +31 rake. Anyone have ideas ?
Trade in the WG?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I am sure that it would be possible.. as the swap the other way... I.E. Wideglide front end on a Dyna bob /Superglide custom etc.. is a popular mod. What year is your wideglide? It may be as simple as swapping trees for you.. but remember your wideglide runs a stock 21 inch front wheel not a 19.. I have '12 FXDC with 49mm forks and am considering doing a swap to wideglide trees.. if you have a newer WG say a '10 or newer.. I might be interested in a tree swap..

I have also heard that there is a certain amount of rake in the WG frame.. say 2 degrees or so.. outside of what the trees also have.. you will take some rake out of the equasion by switching to say superglide trees but the neck of your frame is still raked a bit..

Last edited by Frank Castle; 08-27-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Resqguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
I am sure that it would be possible.. as the swap the other way... I.E. Wideglide front end on a Dyna bob /Superglide custom etc.. is a popular mod. What year is your wideglide? It may be as simple as swapping trees for you.. but remember your wideglide runs a stock 21 inch front wheel not a 19.. I have '12 FXDC with 49mm forks and am considering doing a swap to wideglide trees.. if you have a newer WG say a '10 or newer.. I might be interested in a tree swap..

I have also heard that there is a certain amount of rake in the WG frame.. say 2 degrees or so.. outside of what the trees also have.. you will take some rake out of the equasion by switching to say superglide trees but the neck of your frame is still raked a bit..
Yeah, my bike is a '13. My goal is to have a less "raked" front and wider front tire.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Resqguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
Trade in the WG?
I would but, I've got a ton of money in it.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

well if you feel like doing a tree or for that matter a front end swap let me know..

Attached Thumbnails crazy question about FXDWG front end.-new-seat.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Resqguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
well if you feel like doing a tree or for that matter a front end swap let me know..
Will do.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resqguy
Yeah, my bike is a '13. My goal is to have a less "raked" front and wider front tire.
Had you ever found out more information about putting the wide glide legs on your FXDC?

I am looking to do the wide glide legs on my '10 FXDF, and the 2010+ wide glide has a fork that is only 1" longer than the other Dynas. That FXDWG leg # is 48862-10 and I'm thinking that should be a nice swap in.

If you found any additional info let me know. I work at a Harley dealer myself and I'm working the technical resources at my disposal, but don't have exact lengths on that Wide glide leg so I'm pausing for more info.

Last edited by CornbredNE; 02-02-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: crazy question about FXDWG front end.