Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti Dip'n Spark Plug Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 PM
switzead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dip'n Spark Plug Cables?

So I want some blue spark plug cables bu I also want to stick with HD wires to avoid the possible issues with the ECM. Has anyone used plasti dip to coat the cables and if so would spray or dip be better.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by switzead
So I want some blue spark plug cables bu I also want to stick with HD wires to avoid the possible issues with the ECM. Has anyone used plasti dip to coat the cables and if so would spray or dip be better.
Don't!
Just replace plug wires with some made up with same diameter if you are concerned...but FYI you shouldn't have problems provided you use quality wires.
Bob

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Where do you get the idea that after market wires are going to mess up your ECM. But wife's made for your bike and no worries. Three are several manufactures to choose from.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM
switzead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Where do you get the idea that after market wires are going to mess up your ECM. But wife's made for your bike and no worries. Three are several manufactures to choose from.
There are plenty of people on this forum that have had issues with aftermarket plug wires causing ignition fault codes. And I have yet to find a single aftermarket plug wire provider that guarantees that their wires will not cause an issue.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like bollocks to me...but I ride an Evo, so I guess old skool does have its advantages.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by switzead
There are plenty of people on this forum that have had issues with aftermarket plug wires causing ignition fault codes. And I have yet to find a single aftermarket plug wire provider that guarantees that their wires will not cause an issue.
I'm no mechanic. And I have also heard of issues with these wires. But I do know that HD "isn't" the sole supplier of these wires.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2007 fxd I went to se wires no issues, I personally thinks its horse **** about problems,,, How many cars are out their running aftermarket leads on their cars and no issues with their computers/faults, More nonscence from mechanically challenge nerds

Old 08-31-2013, 03:16 PM
switzead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by loopie
2007 fxd I went to se wires no issues, I personally thinks its horse **** about problems,,, How many cars are out their running aftermarket leads on their cars and no issues with their computers/faults, More nonscence from mechanically challenge nerds
SE wires are OEM and I would put SE OEM wires on my bike in a heart beat if they came in blue. I have put non-OEM wires on my 09 FXDF and so far have no issues (along with my coil relocation). But I also bought standard OEM wires from the blackline, just in case I have issues. The blackline wires have 3.2k OHMS of resistance and the non-OEM brand only have 0.4k OHMS. I will continue to use non-OEM until I have issues if ever but in case I do I would like to know if anyone has ever used plasti dip in th cable for another color.

The problem with this and other forums (like my wife) is they can't just answer the question asked. I didn't ask anyone's opinion on non-OEM wires. That's been discussed to death on several other threads. I just want to know if wires have been colored with plasti dip. My wife would like a set of hot pink with neon green stripe wires. I can do something like that with plasti dip but I will never find that for sale.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know about plasti dip but I had a friend buy neon shoe laces and pull stuff out of inside them and slide over plug wires and then heat shrink ends so no fraying. it really looked cool and cost 2 bucks

Last edited by sonnydaze; 08-31-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnydaze
I do not know about plasti dip but I had a friend buy neon shoe laces and pull stuff out of inside them and slide over plug wires and then heat shrink ends so no fraying. it really looked cool and cost 2 bucks
That is a really creative idea!

To the OP, I have never heard of anyone using plasti-dip on plug wires, but I cannot think of any reason it would not work...the stuff does peel of pretty easy though, so handling the wires when plugging and unplugging from the spark plugs or coil may mess it up.

I think the only way you'll know is to try it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip'n Spark Plug Cables?