Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to start F.I Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 AM
ledfootz28
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to start F.I Dyna

I just got a 07 Superglide with 4200 miles that has been barely ridden over the past 2 or 3 years. At first when I got it the bike fired right up. Now ive noticed the past few starts its been struggling to fire up however the bike runs great with no problems whatsoever.

It did not come with a owners manual so I cant look up how to properly start it.

Do I put the ignition to on, prime the pump by flicking the run switch then start right away...

Or am I supposed to wait for the engine light to go off then start???

Your help is appreciated.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

turn on key, switch to run, wait for light to go off and thumb start button. No need to roll the throttle

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Starting

If the bike is cold, let it prime before you try to start it up...If it is hot, like after stopping for gas, just turn the ignition on hit the run switch and crank it without waiting. They seems to start better that way.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Blkbobber
Advanced

Get a new battery, it's fixing to go.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ynots
turn on key, switch to run, wait for light to go off and thumb start button. No need to roll the throttle
Hello there
I have an 05 fxdxi and I start it that way apart from pushing down both decompressers. As it catches I give a small blip as it bursts into life.
tbone.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Nothing wrong with that unless you have a stage 1

Originally Posted by tbone108
Hello there
I have an 05 fxdxi and I start it that way apart from pushing down both decompressers. As it catches I give a small blip as it bursts into life.
tbone.
Nothing wrong with that i love that rumble + it helps the idle stabilize, unless the bike is cold then I don't do it.
@ ledfoot there is not a harley mechanic or tecnician who will actually wait for the engine check to finish before firing up a bike he has in hand no matter if the book says to wait. I find they start way better if I don't wait cold or hot.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike definitely starts quicker if I don't let it prime first. Stage 1 with power commander.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM
ledfootz28
Intermediate

Well I called the Harley dealer and they said that its best to wait for the check engine light to go out because they said the computer runs a quick diagnostic check or something while the light is on...just sayin what they said.

Today I started the bike up several times today and it fired right up turning the ignition on, flipping the run switch, waiting for pump to prime and light to go off and hit start.

I was thinking that having it sit that long over the years that the battery may be in its last leg so I guess i ll just have to wait and see.

The bike does have accel wires that were on there and I just picked up 2 new plugs from the dealer just for reassurance.

What is this stage 1 power cammandor that everyone is talking about?? is it an ignition system??

Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

My dealer also says to wait for the engine light to go out before starting. I do this and sometimes its starts right up and sometimes it takes a few revolutions.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Let the light go out, as said it's checkings. However not really necessary. The two second timer on the fuel pump is building pressure, so wait for that. That is all it is doing, and until the crank position sensor talks to the ECM, it's not going to fire or spray fuel. The key here if you are new to a two cylinder long stoke motor, it takes a little more hold down on the starter till both cylinders are firing or you will get a false start. If you get a false start, the injector is going to spray again and usually it takes more cranking if you hit it a second time since it's too rich. You cannot hurt the starter since the clutch is a pin sprag clutch that as soon as the motor runs faster then the starter, the pins run up a ramp and totally unhook the drive in the starter. When you get off the button, the spring snaps the drive back in but it's freewheeling then anyway even if the starter is still running. Not talking about getting carried away here, but a few seconds longer then a car motor starter hold-in.

Quick Reply: Proper way to start F.I Dyna