Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob vs FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fat Bob vs FXDX

Well, I now have both. Trying to decide if I should drop one of them.

The FXDX is having an intermittent issue with the front jug cutting out. So far we have eliminated the ignition module, coil, plugs, wires, carb, tank, petcock. I think it's a shorting wire somewhere in the harness unfortunately. Cheap and easy fix, but hard to track down. Anyway, it will eventually be fixed.

I bought a 2009 FXDF with 1900 miles because I had a pre-planned road trip I didn't want to miss. Thankfully my brother is an HD salesman so I got it for a steal.

The EFI and smooth ride of the Fat Bob spoiled me on the trip, but the low suspension and lack of power also left me wishing I was on my DX a lot of the time.

I don't see keeping both, not sure what to do. I'll think about it for a few months. Does having 2 Dynas make sense? lol

The Fat Bob is much more comfortable for 2up riding I will say, and I know it would have even more power with a decent build. If i dropped the FXDX I could use a chunk of that money to build the fat bob right away.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Easy enough to add more power and better suspension to the Fat Bob. Take that out of the equation and which bike do you like better? I'd be tempted to sell the FXDX and throw some of that cash at the Fat Bob.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep both. At least when your working on one you have the other to ride.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

When you picked up the FB for the trip, I wondered what would happen when you returned.

A couple of things to take into consideration, the newer TC's are not as solid as your 2000, plus the cost of tuning the EFI is more...lol...just thought I would complicate things more for you.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I would 100% keep the FXDX...I would keep both is possible...I like the idea of turning the FXDX in to a hot rod. Hotrods break but that isn't a huge deal when it's not your daily rider...I broke down and bought a reliable vehicle myself so I wouldn't have to worry about my 65 getting me back an forth all the time...

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
When you picked up the FB for the trip, I wondered what would happen when you returned.

A couple of things to take into consideration, the newer TC's are not as solid as your 2000, plus the cost of tuning the EFI is more...lol...just thought I would complicate things more for you.
Oh, I'm aware of the issues with the newer TCs and if I did some motor work I would have the crank trued and welded and a timken conversion, even though it adds a ton of cost, worth it for the reliability.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

You may have seen my blue T Sport on here; belongs to another board member now...I had both last summer (snagged an 08 FXDF w/103, cams, pipes and very low miles)
The new Fat Bob is more dealer friendly when I travel far and wide, very comfy but needs more power. Doesn't handle like an FXDXT though...also no foreplay on startup, just stab the button and go...
Do I miss the T? You bet...
Do I want her back? Not really; I'm getting older, slower and lazier...the Fat Bob's easier to put up with...but I've got RSD wheels, matrix brakes, S&S cams and an RB pipe on the way

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sharkey
You may have seen my blue T Sport on here; belongs to another board member now...I had both last summer (snagged an 08 FXDF w/103, cams, pipes and very low miles)
The new Fat Bob is more dealer friendly when I travel far and wide, very comfy but needs more power. Doesn't handle like an FXDXT though...also no foreplay on startup, just stab the button and go...
Do I miss the T? You bet...
Do I want her back? Not really; I'm getting older, slower and lazier...the Fat Bob's easier to put up with...but I've got RSD wheels, matrix brakes, S&S cams and an RB pipe on the way
I am pretty much in the same situation I think.

I'm going to keep them both for awhile and see how it pans out, just tighten up my budget until I get a few other debts paid off, then I will start modding the Fat Bob. In the end, if I find myself not riding the DX ever, I'll let it go

Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sell 'em both and buy a 2013 FXDB.

Seriously, though...I love your FXDX, but totally understand wanting more comfort and reliability.

It's a dilemma for sure, but a good one.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the electrical issue fixed and forget about the fat bob

Quick Reply: Fat Bob vs FXDX