Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires and Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Costnsg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires and Wheels

I needed a new rear tire and used that excuse to get new front and rear tires and new wheels at the same time. If I get the pic properly uploaded you can see the wheels are Harley Reapers. For tires I'm trying Avon this time and used a Cobra Front and Storm 2 on the rear.

I've not worked on bikes much, but decided to try most of the work myself. I did everything except mount and balance the tires, which I had done at a local INDY. I had planned to try the balancing beads this time and knew the shop stocked them, but they sold out an hour before I got there. It was late on Saturday and a holiday weekend with no one open. So, I gritted my teeth and had them put weights on my new wheels.

I was concerned going into this job that I'd have trouble with the sprocket bolts, but they came out without too much fuss. The rear rotor screws were another matter. I busted my torx socket (name brand with lifetime warranty) and had to go get another. Those screws did not come out easy, but I did get them out. No problems with installing new bearings and it was the first time I've done this on a motorcycle tire. Other wheel bearings I've worked in the past had roller bearings with a separate race.

The good new is that everything fit. I did have to go back for more bolts. The front wheel came with right hub cover but no bolts for it. And I'm wishing I had gone ahead with the new matching sprocket, but this project was already expensive.

Took the bike for a 5-10 mile test ride and rear end felt a bit odd, like it wanted to wander left or right. This was on the straight runs, curves were no problem. After 3-4 miles this seems to go away or maybe I just imagined it. I did recheck the rear wheel alignment and it looks OK.

I think I'll find some of those beads and try them out as I hate the weights on my new wheels. One question on that. I've seen recommendations to use 1 ounce of beads in the front. But my front wheel has 1.75 ounces of wheel weights. Seems like one ounce of beads couldn't balance the tire no matter where they came to rest. So should I just put in 2 ounces?

Attached Thumbnails New Tires and Wheels-dsc07005.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Costnsg
I needed a new rear tire and used that excuse to get new front and rear tires and new wheels at the same time. If I get the pic properly uploaded you can see the wheels are Harley Reapers. For tires I'm trying Avon this time and used a Cobra Front and Storm 2 on the rear.

I've not worked on bikes much, but decided to try most of the work myself. I did everything except mount and balance the tires, which I had done at a local INDY. I had planned to try the balancing beads this time and knew the shop stocked them, but they sold out an hour before I got there. It was late on Saturday and a holiday weekend with no one open. So, I gritted my teeth and had them put weights on my new wheels.

I was concerned going into this job that I'd have trouble with the sprocket bolts, but they came out without too much fuss. The rear rotor screws were another matter. I busted my torx socket (name brand with lifetime warranty) and had to go get another. Those screws did not come out easy, but I did get them out. No problems with installing new bearings and it was the first time I've done this on a motorcycle tire. Other wheel bearings I've worked in the past had roller bearings with a separate race.

The good new is that everything fit. I did have to go back for more bolts. The front wheel came with right hub cover but no bolts for it. And I'm wishing I had gone ahead with the new matching sprocket, but this project was already expensive.

Took the bike for a 5-10 mile test ride and rear end felt a bit odd, like it wanted to wander left or right. This was on the straight runs, curves were no problem. After 3-4 miles this seems to go away or maybe I just imagined it. I did recheck the rear wheel alignment and it looks OK.

I think I'll find some of those beads and try them out as I hate the weights on my new wheels. One question on that. I've seen recommendations to use 1 ounce of beads in the front. But my front wheel has 1.75 ounces of wheel weights. Seems like one ounce of beads couldn't balance the tire no matter where they came to rest. So should I just put in 2 ounces?
Getting the sprocket bolts out is usually not the issue...It's keeping them in...Make sure you used new bolts and red locktite...

Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

I used new bolts on the sprocket and the rotors. The bolts came with Loctite on them from the dealer and I didn't add any more. The exception was the chome screws for the hub cover than came without Loctite and I did add it to those.

Did I do OK not adding more Loctite? I did torque everything to spec.

Last edited by Costnsg; 09-01-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Looks good. Nice wheels.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

On my question about the amount of dyna beads to use, I also emailed that question to Innovative Balancing (company who markets the Dyna Beads). To paraphrase their response, the radius being larger for the bead location makes the 1 oz recommendation from them OK and to proceed on that basis.

Before I had that response I purchased locally two, 2 oz bags of beads. Guess I can split one bag. I have a scale for measuring gunpowder that should work for splitting a bag. For anyone interested, there are 7000 grains in one pound, so 7000/16 = 437.5 grains/oz.

I also noticed that I probably posted this in the wrong section of the forum, so I'll be more careful next time. Now on to getting those little beads through the valves stems...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No need to add loctite to the factory bolts that already have it installed. Also, I think the funny feeling you noticed from the rear wheel is probably just because it's a new tire and sometimes they need to get scuffed up a bit from the road and wear off that shiny surface from the factory.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

2oz for rear and 1oz for front when using Dyna beads.

I have used this mixture (as recommended) in the last 2 tire changes. First time was in a set of laced rims with tubes and then in the mags. They actually work as described.

Last edited by Gommee; 09-03-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Aces and 8s
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

What seat are you running costnsg? Comfort level?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

Oh, there's nothing special about that seat. It's the factory original. I haven't changed it because I rather like it. I find it to be very comfortable. I never ride 2 up, but that rear portion works well for supporting my T bag, which I typically place forward of the sissy bar.

Thanks for the responses on the Dyna beads. When I saw all those stick on weights I just had trouble believing one ounce of beads could do the trick. As soon as I get a little time, plan is to add an ounce of beads, take off the weights and see how it runs.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
No need to add loctite to the factory bolts that already have it installed. Also, I think the funny feeling you noticed from the rear wheel is probably just because it's a new tire and sometimes they need to get scuffed up a bit from the road and wear off that shiny surface from the factory.
Thanks for the reassuring comment on the Loctite. I've seen some of the pictures posted of sprocket bolts that came loose and I don't want that experience.

On the tire feel, I'm sure you are correct. It's feeling fine now. Just need some seat time to continue testing. BTW, last tires were ME880's and I liked them better than the stock Dunlops. I got 9000mi from the rear tire, which I don't think is too bad. I went with the Avons just to try something different. Too soon to say much about them.

Quick Reply: New Tires and Wheels