Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading my 2001 road glide for Switchback

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM
K9BO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading my 2001 road glide for Switchback

I recently purchased a 2001 CVO Road Glide for a reasonable price. I also own a 2005 Sportster with a 1250 conversion. The RG is to damn big and doesn’t handle like the Sportster and when Im taking curves it feels like it is wobbling in curves. The Sportster gets blowed all over the road and vibrates like hell. Plus the wife says one of them has to go. So I found a dealer with a 2012 Switchback that has 4000 miles on it. Already has had some upgrades like progressive shocks and super reduce seat and they are asking $14000 for it. If I trade both my bikes in I can Possibly get $12000 worth of trades. A friend of mine said I was stupid for wanting to trade the RG in for a Dyna. Im going to go test drive the Switchback and see if the dealer is welling to deal tomorrow. So what say you guys. Should I just keep the RG and spend the extra money modifying it to suit me or trade it in for a bike that might possibly suit me better?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first off you cant compare a rg to a sportster, thats like trying to compare a 1ton crew cab pickup to a mazda miata. i would throw a true track on the rg and keep it, but thats just me. but first thing first thing is to figure out what your ridding habbits are, rippin up twisty canyon roads and in town riding or do you want something thats suited better for long distance rides, long comutes and lots pf two up ridding? the dyna does start to feel cramped after ridding two up for a while but not too bad. if i haddent dumped soo much money into my dyna making it comfortable for long distances i would have/ should have traded it in for a rg.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

If you're looking for a little bit of both worlds, between the two bikes you have, the FLD is it. I love mine. I can strip it down and throw it around the twisties a bit, and I can dress it out and go for the distance. Problem is it's never gonna be a sporty and it's never gonna be a bagger. It's just close enough to reach satisfaction. If I had my choice I would have a Deluxe but it's just not practical enough for me. I'm only 5'7" and the FLD is my best fit. It's a true working bike for me. I can get it dirty and not flinch. If I had that Deluxe I would be afraid to let it leave the garage.

Last edited by odie-in-az; 09-02-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

You answered your own questions. The FLD will give you what you want.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM
K9BO
Cruiser

I like the road glide, but I hate the Wobble. I would hate to dump money on it and it not fix the wobble. Ive checked the shocks, the tires and the bike just had its 20k maintenance and I can find no reason why the bike should wobble. It drives smooth as silk with no vibrations, it just ****ing wobbles, weaves, what ever you want to call it for no reason when driving it. The sportster just doesn’t fill the niche I am looking for in a bike. If I don’t get the switchback then I will just keep trying to fix the wobble.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by K9BO
I like the road glide, but I hate the Wobble. I would hate to dump money on it and it not fix the wobble. Ive checked the shocks, the tires and the bike just had its 20k maintenance and I can find no reason why the bike should wobble. It drives smooth as silk with no vibrations, it just ****ing wobbles, weaves, what ever you want to call it for no reason when driving it. The sportster just doesn’t fill the niche I am looking for in a bike. If I don’t get the switchback then I will just keep trying to fix the wobble.
They sell a stabilizer for your RG. I think it's a common complaint before they changed the frame in '08. Go to the vendor page and you will come across it. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like i mentioned before, sounds like you need to put a truetrack on the rg. but by the sound of it you wont be happy with the rg untill you get the switchback.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
like i mentioned before, sounds like you need to put a truetrack on the rg. but by the sound of it you wont be happy with the rg untill you get the switchback.
True that. A stabilizer won't make the RG feel any smaller.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 AM
K9BO
Cruiser

Thanks for your guys honest replies. Im headed to the dealer here in a couple of hours. See about a stabilizer or a deal on my bikes and that switchback.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my 2001 road glide for Switchback