Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Straight Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Springs

I ordered a set of Ricor Intiminators and a pair of Traxxion springs to go with them. After reading numerous posts online as well as reading Howard's (Motorcycle Metal) dislike of progressive wound springs, decided the extra wait would be worth the straight wound ones.

Plan is to use amsoil 10w fork oil as well, based on Ricor's recommendation.

If you are running this set up how do you like it and was it a big improvement over Progressive's progressive springs? Any tips or recommendations on setting the spacer length for preload?

Thanks

Last edited by izzyryder; 10-22-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...upgrade-5.html

My journey started around post #160 or so.

I'm waiting on a set of .90kg single rate springs from Dan now. The 1.0kg were too stiff for my 160lbs.

I also switched back to Amsoil #10 from #5 after conferring with Brian at Ricor about what I was feeling in the front end.

I put the stock progressive wound springs back in until the .90kgs arrive.

I can tell you that the #10 Amsoil has a much more stable feel at high (over 80mph) speed, but the #5 provides a nicer ride at lower speeds, with the stock springs. I can't wait to see how things go with the .90kg and #10 Amsoil.

Also, I'm using RSD preload adjusters, so my spacer length isn't as critical as it would be for someone just using the stock fork caps. My goal is to get the sag perfect with the adjusters at the midway setting so I can soften or tighten things up as necessary.

I'm glad you're doing this. I won't be the only guinea pig.

I'll post my spacer measurements with the new springs as soon as they get here.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Awesome man it'll be good to get your feed back.

How long did it take for them to make you the springs? Also, did they confer with you when they decided the spring rate or did they just send them out.

I'm 190 and would want close to a .95 spring rate...

Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Dan convinced me to go with the 1.0kg despite my concern that I didn't weigh enough. He said he was 170ish and the 1.0kg was a "plush" ride for him (on a sport bike). He freely admitted not having a lot of working knowledge about our 49mm set up and offered no cost exchanges if I didn't like the springs. He's been pretty helpful even he didn't quite understand what I was trying to do at first (which is basically copy fabrik8r's work in the touring section). Considering the riding position on a sport bike, the 1.0kg probably would be plush since more of the rider's weight is over the forks. Just didn't work out well on a Dyna.

It took about 2 weeks to get the first set. It's going on 10 days now waiting for the .90kg.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Dan convinced me to go with the 1.0kg despite my concern that I didn't weigh enough. He said he was 170ish and the 1.0kg was a "plush" ride for him (on a sport bike). He freely admitted not having a lot of working knowledge about our 49mm set up and offered no cost exchanges if I didn't like the springs. He's been pretty helpful even he didn't quite understand what I was trying to do at first (which is basically copy fabrik8r's work in the touring section). Considering the riding position on a sport bike, the 1.0kg probably would be plush since more of the rider's weight is over the forks. Just didn't work out well on a Dyna.

It took about 2 weeks to get the first set. It's going on 10 days now waiting for the .90kg.
Thanks this was helpful. I also read through the other thread you posted and it was a wealth of knowledge. I'm 185 and gonna go with a 44x365x.95kg spring.

Did they meantime charging more because the spring is "custom"? Rather than the standard price?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by izzyryder
Thanks this was helpful. I also read through the other thread you posted and it was a wealth of knowledge. I'm 185 and gonna go with a 44x365x.95kg spring.

Did they meantime charging more because the spring is "custom"? Rather than the standard price?
Yes, $140 for custom springs. Not too bad considering the not custom price is about $120.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

We'll I spoke to Dan and they are sending me a 44x380x1.0kg

I'm ok with the 1.0kg but will the 380mm be too long of a spring?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm. the stock spring is 330 (unless you have a wide glide)
The spring he sent squid was 365, so 380 does seem long to me

Old 10-22-2013, 02:00 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

###\\\\

Last edited by izzyryder; 10-23-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damnit you guys, now I'm going to be wanting to do shocks & springs next...lol!

What are you running on the rear of your bike Rooti? I know you've got Ricors, but give me details.

I know winter is coming here soon, which brings some downtime, which leads to boredom & thinking, which ultimately leads to me spending $ on the bike..

Quick Reply: Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Straight Rate Springs