Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Rake Angle Misunderstood Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Fat Chance
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide Rake Angle Misunderstood Help!

It seems as though the general belief is that the wide glide rake is increased by 5 degrees or so by the steering head and a couple more by the triple trees. I may be off a little in the exacts, but my problem is that I bought a wide glide triple for my super glide and I see that it actually has a NEGATIVE rake to it. My belief is that Harley put a lot of pos angle in the head of the WG then backed it off with the trees a little maybe for trail reasons. Anyway is this going to screw up my super glide to fat bob conversion? Has any one used these triple trees on a super glide and will it handle poorly?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you are doing what I'm going to do. I believe the Wideglide trees have a 1 1/2 deg. positive rake. Place the top tree on the lower tree, you will see the lower tube holes are further forward than the upper tree holes.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM
G-Lock
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fat Chance
It seems as though the general belief is that the wide glide rake is increased by 5 degrees or so by the steering head and a couple more by the triple trees. I may be off a little in the exacts, but my problem is that I bought a wide glide triple for my super glide and I see that it actually has a NEGATIVE rake to it. My belief is that Harley put a lot of pos angle in the head of the WG then backed it off with the trees a little maybe for trail reasons. Anyway is this going to screw up my super glide to fat bob conversion? Has any one used these triple trees on a super glide and will it handle poorly?
The trees on my wide glide have 2 degrees and 3 degrees in the neck. The older wide glides had all the rake in the neck I believe.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Chance
I don't know what brand of WG trees you bought but there are lots of variations (rakes) available. Maybe you weren't paying attention to that?

My 2007 WG has 34* in the neck and *2 in the trees for a total of 36* rake. Stock, from the Moco as delivered to the dealer.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Fat Chance
Novice

They are definitely negative check out the pic the holes for the forks are lined up evenly in this shot

Attached Thumbnails Wide Glide Rake Angle Misunderstood Help!-20131029_210447.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The holes are supposed to be lined up....if they weren't, you couldnt get the tubes in . The difference is between the angle of the tubes and the neck shaft. You should be able to measure the distance from the centerline of the forks to the center line of the shaft, on the top of the upper T-tree. then do the same on the bottom of the lower tree. The measurement on the bottom of the lower tree will be the same or greater. that would be a zero or positive rake addition. it could only be negative, if the bottom measurement was smaller.

See pic: (The lower tree is shown on top)

Here is a good page that explains how it works... http://www.seegercycle.com/Rake-and-Trail.aspx

Last edited by DesertDyna; 10-30-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling, add pictures
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Fat Chance
Novice

Yes the bottom measurement is smaller. The picture (i know not so good) shows that the shaft is forward in the hole while the fork holes are lined up. So is it possible these actually are for a Fat Bob I saw somewhere that they may have a slight negative tree rake.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought WG trees were 1.5 -2 degrees and Fatbob had zero degree rake in the trees, what I have read so far, zero rake in the trees might explain why the Fatbob handles so well

Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

I believe, at least on mine that the trees are 2 1/2° over what a standard Dyna is. I am going to add 3° of rake with offset steering arm bearings. This is just like chopping the frame so it won't mess with the trail. You might look into this too. Vulcan engineering makes them for just about any bike out there. Just a suggestion. These kits are a lot cheaper than buying raked trees as well.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Fat Chance
Novice

Buyer beware these turn out to be Fat Bob trees (a slight negative rake) all is well now

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Rake Angle Misunderstood Help!