Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my damn mind. I'm keeping the mini apes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

The first thing I changed on my SG was putting Wide Glide minis on it...perfect fit for me. After my son trashed the 14 inch apes on his Low Rider, he decided that he preferred the Wide Glide minis as well...the tall apes looked good on that Low Rider, but the minis look even better in our opinions...and the motorcycle handles better with the shorter apes.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by camden
When I started seriously checking out which Dyna I wanted to ride home, I made sure to spend some time in the seat of each model to see which handlebar setup I liked best. I liked the look of the drag bars best, but looks ain't everything.

I thought I'd hate the mini apes, but I realized real quick during the test ride that they weren't bad at all. I thought I was sure about going with drag bars and after riding the Fat Bob I chose the Street Bob and ordered drag bars.

Well, it has taken 5-1/2 weeks for everything to come in. I'm going to pick up the second riser today. And damned if I haven't grown to love these mini apes. I gotta say I never thought I'd be an ape guy, but damn they're comfortable. I'm gonna sell these brand new drag bars, risers, and cables I now have.

And somewhat related... I think H-D got the setup wrong on the Street Bob and Fat Bob. The Street Bob should come with mini apes and forward controls and the Fat Bob should come with drag bars and mid controls.
I agree! I wish the Fat Bob still had a mid control option.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:19 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

I personally LOVE the stock mini-apes on my street bob, they complete the look of the bike and for me at 5'9" they're dead nuts perfect. plus with highway pegs in the forward control mounts I can ride all day and still want to go!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
FXDBISBOB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its true that I would still be rocking the mini apes pulled back if I had forward controls but I dont have enough grey in my beard yet for that. Tucked and fast is where its at for me mids mx bars.

I do have black 16inch apes but cables arent quite long enough so they are still in box. The mini apes were comfy I ran em slightly forward for 2 yrs. Alot more control with T bars or MX while riding aggressive though

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

When people ask me why I like apes so much, I tell them there the best setup I have ever riden with. Those that ask is it comfy, I have always heard that your arms go numb when riding apes. I tell them that that might be true for some, but IMO, going to apes is like that old saying about going black (for some, it's not for everyone).

Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 AM
houserco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blueangel73
When people ask me why I like apes so much, I tell them there the best setup I have ever riden with. Those that ask is it comfy, I have always heard that your arms go numb when riding apes. I tell them that that might be true for some, but IMO, going to apes is like that old saying about going black (for some, it's not for everyone).
I second the "best setup" part of that. As for as comfy - I'd also have to say that while I expected some circulation issues considering I always had problems with lower bars and figured anything other than dead on level would be worse. That's not the case for me. I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam and other than than the lack of highway pegs, the mini apes with mid-controls give me the best riding and circulation experience.

I've never had a problem on 10 min - 60 min rides with any circulation from head to toe. About the only thing I'd like to add for comfort might be some mini floor boards simply to rest my feet off peg style riding even for quick jaunts.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 AM
FXDBISBOB
Intermediate

Yeah those people talking about apes and lack of circulation werent talking about mini apes. They were talking about 16 or 18 inch tall hands above top of shoulders while riding for 3+ hours. The mini apes are def Ergo friendly as HD intended.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I started this thread over a year ago after I had only owned my FXDB for a couple of months. I still love the stock mini apes. The only reason I'd consider changing them at this point was if I found something with similar dimensions and a more stylish design.

Kinda surprised this thread's still going!