Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike pulls

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Bike pulls

This is a weird one that I have never experienced before. On a run with friends last weekend and we all pulled up to a light with a hot rod Camaro in the next lane. We got into a bit of a rev out to see who had the loudest pipes with the Camaro. I was holding in the clutch and the bike started pulling forward. Kinda creepy. I have been using Drag Specialty Primary oil and Adjust the clutch and cable when it needs it. I have no idea what would cause it to pull like that. I have had a couple indie shops tell me it's ok to use synthetic in the primary, but I have also had certified techs say synthetics will make the clutch slip and to use HD Primary/Tranny or petro based. Any opinions?

Attached Thumbnails Bike pulls-photo-3.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like your clutch is draging, how does it shift, go into first, neutral?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

Actually the shifting has been a little stiff. I changed tranny fluid from Royal Purple to Amsoil HD and thought that was why. Would drag be adjustment or fluid?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles has the bike done? Serviced regularly? There is an adjustment possible on the clutch release basket due at certain intervals that could cause what you've experienced, but sometimes techs take the easy way out & just adjust the cable. (They did on mine anyway).

A wet clutch behaves differently to a dry plate such as a car, but it shouldn't ever creep forward.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

I do all maintenance and adjustments myself. It is current. The clutch does have 70k on it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't hurt then to check the release adjustment. Should be about half a turn out if I recall correctly. The way I understand it is worn clutches are more prone to slipping under torque (not gripping enough), but if you experience the opposite (not releasing enough) that's usually an adjustment issue.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you adjust the clutch?
If so I would double check it. It is dragging.
Once you get the clutch adjusted correctly the dragging will disappear and it will shift better.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i dont think it has anything to do about the oil.. I would say, thinking logic then it is the clutch that does not disengage propperly. So it is a matter of adjustment.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to adjust the clutch, not just the cable, also I've had that problem once when I took off in second gear from a stop a couple times in a row (which was dumb, I know, was on the range in a class) Another guy had the same issue, same cause.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
You have to adjust the clutch, not just the cable, also I've had that problem once when I took off in second gear from a stop a couple times in a row (which was dumb, I know, was on the range in a class) Another guy had the same issue, same cause.
Once it cooled down after a few minutes of being shut down, it was fine

Quick Reply: Bike pulls