Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 WG engine upgrade questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM
djdanko1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 WG engine upgrade questions.

FYI.. I have very little to no knowledge of engine upgrades so I am hoping I can get some direction here.

I have been thinking about doing some engine upgrades since I got my WG earlier this year. I originally was just going to do a cam upgrade where I was going use a Andrews 26N. After doing some more reading I figured I would do a little more if I was already going to be digging into the engine. My plan is to get my original Jugs bored to 95", get the SE 95" cast pistons and add a new Cam with the complete cam/cam tensioner kit from Andrews

so, I have a few questions involving that.

1) Is there anything else that I will need to complete this upgrade?
2) Where can I find the bigger pistons at a relatively good price? (or do you have a better suggestions)
3) about how much does it cost to get the Jugs bored? (anyone know of any places in Northern Illinois?)
4) would the 26N still be a good fit with the 95" as it would have been with the 88? I want low-mid torque.

If any of you can answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 PM
MCCHP
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

95" 10.5:1 .030" head gasket "no compression releases needed" SE 204 cams , se air kit , modified stock exhaust made into 2-1.. efi tuned with direct link ...

Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As alluded to by MCCHP, the cam swap and big bore upgrades won't do so much if you're not getting more air into the engine, and out of the engine. To do that, you'll need to install high flow air cleaner and exhaust. There are many choices when it comes to these two upgrades. You will also need some type of tuning device. There are several of these available too. I'd suggest you start reading the upgrade lists in other members signatures and then finding threads that discuss these upgrades. You'll learn a lot.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:03 AM
MCCHP
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmb79
As alluded to by MCCHP, the cam swap and big bore upgrades won't do so much if you're not getting more air into the engine, and out of the engine. To do that, you'll need to install high flow air cleaner and exhaust. There are many choices when it comes to these two upgrades. You will also need some type of tuning device. There are several of these available too. I'd suggest you start reading the upgrade lists in other members signatures and then finding threads that discuss these upgrades. You'll learn a lot.
Not to mention up grading the clutch is a must!

i WOULD RECOMMEND A DYNOJET THUNDERSLIDE JET KIT

Last edited by MCCHP; 11-16-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM
djdanko1
Novice

I guess I should have mentioned this in my initial post, but I already have the Stage 1 big sucker air filter (which I plan to change to the KNN Air charger for more knee clearance) and I also have V & H straight shots. What type of tuning device is used on a carbureted bike? I thought those were mostly used for EFI bikes? I could be totally wrong on that though. Thanks for the tips this far.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
djdanko1
Novice

BUMP!!

Still looking for suggestions and most importantly where to find the pistons for a reasonable price.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by djdanko1
BUMP!!

Still looking for suggestions and most importantly where to find the pistons for a reasonable price.
Weisco forged 10.1 pistons are the only way to fly... Cam's and geared, no chain equals S&S. Build carb or go to Mikuni 42. Pick a good 2-1 exhaust. Dyna ignition sys. Will get you going. If ya get serious send your heads to Moto or Branch.... Nothing else matters, cross those bridges when you need to. Bore cylinders are not needed, Ho yea, Dont worry so much about price...

Last edited by aces&8s; 11-20-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

I am not a gearhead "but" why are you boring out a Harley cylinder. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a 95" S&S kit from someone (say JP)for 3200 bucks that even comes with tricked out heads? Just a thought. I'll bet you could even buy it direct from S&S for less. Not sure!!

Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 AM
djdanko1
Novice

@aces&8s so you are recommending I go with the 88in Wiseco 10.1 piston instead of boring out to 95" and getting the bigger piston? I don't know much about this, but would that add a significant amount of added power and give room for additional upgrades down the road? I'm definitely open to this.

@two lane tramp: After a lot of research I found that it is MUCH cheaper to just buy the bigger SE cast piston(150$est) an get it bored out (150-175$ est) then to buy the complete kit. I also read that by boring your own cylinders you will have a more true fit.

If I am not correct with that statement please let me know, but I have read that a few times I think.

Last edited by djdanko1; 11-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by djdanko1
@aces&8s so you are recommending I go with the 88in Wiseco 10.5 piston instead of boring out to 95" and getting the bigger piston? I don't know much about this, but would that add a significant amount of added power and give room for additional upgrades down the road? I'm definitely open to this.

@two lane tramp: After a lot of research I found that it is MUCH cheaper to just buy the bigger SE cast piston(150$est) an get it bored out (150-175$ est) then to buy the complete kit. I also read that by boring your own cylinders you will have a more true fit.

If I am not correct with that statement please let me know, but I have read that a few times I think.
You can get weisco pistons for any size bore [88"-95"], the 10.1 is as high as I would go on compression. Having the right cam's with the heads built needs to be a ballanced kit so everything works together and flows properly. If your going to do it right, do it right the first time with a complete build kit. You will have more power than you need. I have a built 80" Evo that flat kicks butt without over building the engine. Rule of thumb is if you want a V twin to last keep in mind this.. 80"= 90 hp. 88" 95 hp. 95"= 105hp. 110"= 120 hp. These are approximate max hp so your engine will last. Personally 95" with 100hp is plenty bad fast and will last a long time.
Your 88" built properly will get you easily 95+ hp and all the white knuckles you need. Without taking all the metal out of your cylinders. Put that Extra cash in building your heads and other go fast goodies... Which goes back to a proper kit that makes it all work together.... Call "fuel MOTO" or "Branch heads" for a proper kit. PS. Forged 10.1 weisco...

Last edited by aces&8s; 11-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 WG engine upgrade questions.