Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer Shocks, Short Legs - Ohlins Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Longer Shocks, Short Legs - Ohlins Upgrade

I just got Puffdaddy's 329mm Ohlins installed and set last night. The height is adjustable +/- 5mm, so I dropped them down to 325mm. The shocks these replaced are 320mm, so the difference is only 5mm, but it "feels" like much more and my feet are no longer flat on the ground.

I adjusted the sag to the Ohlin recommended 20mm and did my road test on the way to work today. It was the best ride I've ever had...better than any sport bike I've owned. I still had enough feedback for a sporty ride, but all the small stuff is gone and the big bumps had no jolt. I felt more nimble lane splitting, probably due to the additional rear height.

BUT

When it's time to stop, I'm not flat footed. A shorter shock is not an option, but I'm thinking about increasing sag until my feet are a little more planted.

Can some of the suspension gurus comment on the affects of a little too much sag? Would 25mm of sag be too much? I don't think I have to worry about bottoming out with the additional shock length. I also don't won't to negate the positive effects of a little more height on the back end.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

5 mm is less than 1/4 of an inch. Why not just go to a shoe repairman and ask him to resole your boots.

Enjoy your Ohlins.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been enjoying the **** of them all day. Lots of "errands" to run.

I know, it seems insignificant, but it doesn't feel like it. More like an inch higher. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a few days in the saddle, but I am curious how a little more sag will affect handling.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With the geometry of a Dyna, I don't think you're going to run into significant handling issues. People lower them all the time.

However, I would be more mindful of bottoming out that shock.

If you have enough travel, that you won't bottom it out when riding, adjust it, and take it for a ride. If you're comfortable with it! and you don't feel any adverse effects... Run it.

Good luck.

Chase

Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm no suspension guru, but I do have short legs and did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express awhile back.

I ride a StreetGlide so it already has a short shock on the rear. I had Progressive drop in springs installed in the front.

Don't know if that's an option for your Dyna, but it made a world of difference on my SG. I flatfoot now where before I didn't.

The following users liked this post:
RG_FXDLS (08-09-2019)
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was me, I would look into taking the 1/4" out of the seat and leave the primo suspension alone....

Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
If it was me, I would look into taking the 1/4" out of the seat and leave the primo suspension alone....
After spending a couple days with the current set up, this is exactly what I plan to do. The ride is just too good to mess with.

I checked out the underside of my saddle, and it looks like I can take a 1/4 to 1/2" off the the Corbin rubber mounts without too much trouble.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id try dropping the sag down to 1" (26mm) and wearing thick soled boots. Ohlins have great compression dampening, I doubt you will have any issues with bottoming out.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,887 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
I just got Puffdaddy's 329mm Ohlins installed and set last night. The height is adjustable +/- 5mm, so I dropped them down to 325mm. The shocks these replaced are 320mm, so the difference is only 5mm, but it "feels" like much more and my feet are no longer flat on the ground.
Squid, all you've done is change the length of the shock to make it shorter. You don't set your sag based on the length of the shock...you should set the sag based on the total stroke of the shock. How many mm of stroke does your shock have?

Is your shock an Ohlins 3-3 from Motorcycle Metal (Howard)? Based on the original 329mm length and the + or - 5mm adjustability, it sounds like that model. That particular shock has a 77mm stroke, along with a sweep valve at the bottom of the shock to adjust rebound. Usually you set the sag to approx 1/3 of your total stroke. Your 20mm of sag would be good for a shock with a total stroke of 60mm. The shock that I believe you have should be adjusted for a total sag of approx 26mm.

As for the issue of your feet not being flat...get thicker soles on your boots, or have your seat customized.

Those Ohlins really highlight how bad the stock shocks are, don't they?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Squid, all you've done is change the length of the shock to make it shorter. You don't set your sag based on the length of the shock...you should set the sag based on the total stroke of the shock. How many mm of stroke does your shock have?

Is your shock an Ohlins 3-3 from Motorcycle Metal (Howard)? Based on the original 329mm length and the + or - 5mm adjustability, it sounds like that model. That particular shock has a 77mm stroke, along with a sweep valve at the bottom of the shock to adjust rebound. Usually you set the sag to approx 1/3 of your total stroke. Your 20mm of sag would be good for a shock with a total stroke of 60mm. The shock that I believe you have should be adjusted for a total sag of approx 26mm.

As for the issue of your feet not being flat...get thicker soles on your boots, or have your seat customized.

Those Ohlins really highlight how bad the stock shocks are, don't they?
Yep, Puffdaddy got them from Howard. They came with a separate booklet for set up that recommended these initial settings:

Length 329 +/- 5mm
Sag 20mm
Stroke 77

I just followed those. I've learned that I "should" keep my front sag in line with the rear regarding total travel. Differences between the two affect steering response.

My front end has Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion single rate springs. My sag is set fairly stiff at 25mm (1/3 range is 30mm) up front, so I don't want to get too soft on the rear without adding something forward. I have pre-load adjusters on the forks, so it would be easy to experiment.

Before I add any more sag, I'm going to try the seat lowering and see how my feet fall.

Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Longer Shocks, Short Legs - Ohlins Upgrade