Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle can over ceramic coated pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle can over ceramic coated pipes?

Anyone one use the rust oleum high heat ultra semi gloss spray paint over the black ceramic coated heat shields?

It says it can handle up to 1200 degrees.

I am thinking of painting my vance and hines big shots with this semi gloss, not sure if I like the flat black ceramic coat that they come with.

Any tips or advice on rattle can painting over ceramic coating, not sure if it's any different then Painting over any other surface?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

we have powdered them a few times with great results!

Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how hot pipes get but when I painted mine, I used the VHT paint that is rated closer to 2,000 degrees F. Also, you should probably clean your current pipes thoroughly and degrease them using acetone or another solvent that won't damage the ceramic coating.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 PM
99%r
Tourer

Anyone have an idea on how hot the heat shields get?

I would take mine out and ride it and check myself, but I do t think riding when it's 3 degrees outside sounds like much fun. Although it did cross my mind

Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 PM
parrettdl
Novice

I don't know for sure how hot it gets, but i painted that spray paint on my 83 Honda sabre pipes a couple years back-

one thing, i would honestly recommend testing it out on some scrap metal before spraying your pipes- i didn't personally care for the finish...

its kind of velvety almost, and looked horrible if/when it got dirty...

if you do go that route, it will smoke when you first fire your bike up- that's normal. after a while, it will stop. you just might get some funny looks until then.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 PM
99%r
Tourer

Originally Posted by parrettdl
I don't know for sure how hot it gets, but i painted that spray paint on my 83 Honda sabre pipes a couple years back-

one thing, i would honestly recommend testing it out on some scrap metal before spraying your pipes- i didn't personally care for the finish...

its kind of velvety almost, and looked horrible if/when it got dirty...

if you do go that route, it will smoke when you first fire your bike up- that's normal. after a while, it will stop. you just might get some funny looks until then.
I did spray a sample. It looks good. This is the semi gloss, not the flat black. You use the semi gloss?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Pipes close to the head can get 800 degrees +/- 50 or so. They run cooler the farther from the motor. Your short shots get roughly 500 degrees at the tips.

The shield temps are far less because they only get radiated heat and metal-transfer heat (no hot gases.)

If the paint you are using is ceramic and rated at 1200 degrees, you won't have any problems. Prep is the key. Like jmb79 wrote, degrease them thoroughly, scuff them well with Scitch-Brite, wipe them again and go.

One trick with ceramic paint is to heat cure it slowly. Let it dry per instructions. After installation, run the motor for just a short while, let it cool, run it again for a bit longer, let it cool, run it to full temp for a good ride, and let it cool. Kind of like a 2-stroke break-in process.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 PM
blackout fxdf
Intermediate

I used the rustoleum I high temp pain on both by pipes and heat shields. After a season of riding it held up great. The only place the paint came off is where my boot rubs on the heat shield. A 5 minute touch up each season keeps them looking good. Best bang for your buck IMHO

Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 PM
99%r
Tourer

Originally Posted by SLV
Pipes close to the head can get 800 degrees +/- 50 or so. They run cooler the farther from the motor. Your short shots get roughly 500 degrees at the tips.

The shield temps are far less because they only get radiated heat and metal-transfer heat (no hot gases.)

If the paint you are using is ceramic and rated at 1200 degrees, you won't have any problems. Prep is the key. Like jmb79 wrote, degrease them thoroughly, scuff them well with Scitch-Brite, wipe them again and go.

One trick with ceramic paint is to heat cure it slowly. Let it dry per instructions. After installation, run the motor for just a short while, let it cool, run it again for a bit longer, let it cool, run it to full temp for a good ride, and let it cool. Kind of like a 2-stroke break-in process.
Thanks for the info. The paint is not ceramic but the coating on the pipe shields are. They are the black vance and hines big shots. The 1200 degree paint should hold up

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Post some pics when you're done.

Quick Reply: Rattle can over ceramic coated pipes?