Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhausted of Exhaust Questions? One More '06 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 PM
TyFlyer21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhausted of Exhaust Questions? One more time..'06 Street Bob

Hello All,
I had such great feedback on my first thread I'm back for more.

I am a proud owner of an '06 Street Bob Denim Black, my first HD. Currently she has V & H slips on's from the previous owner. Sounds pretty good but I'm looking to change it up. I'm definitely going with black exhaust, here are my preferences after much research.

I prefer the look of 2 to 2 versus 2 to 1. I'm open to suggestions if the right set comes along. My original pick was V & H Short Shots with BCT original baffles. It sounds like BCT does a great job of lowering the tone/rumble of the exhaust along with regaining some low-end torque. I also like the look of the Short Shots but so many people are running them out there. Big Shots are a close 2nd but I like the slash tip more on the Short Shots. I've also looked into options from Reinhart, Bub, D & D, Samson, Thunderheader, Python, Super Trapp, Freedom, etc.

Here are my questions.

Quality wise, who is on top?

What brand is naturally the deepest rumble, like a 60's hot rod?

Like previously stated, I'm open to a 2 to 1 but don't care for the look of huge can on the side of my bike. I know I'll probably get the best sound and performance from a 2 to 1 so I'd like to explore the options along with more 2 to 2's.

Listening to videos is great but hard to get a true depiction of actual exhaust tone.

Steer my in the right direction! What are your thoughts?

Thanks again,

TC

Last edited by TyFlyer21; 01-21-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had short shots on my street bob i used to have the low end torque sucked but i couldnt help but smile everytime i rode it. they are loud. i have had the D&D fat cat on 2 bikes. love the pipe great performance and the sound is pretty good. I am quite used to it myself. my other choice when i bought my fat bob was rinehart crossbacks. not sure about overall performance but they sure do look sweet. good luck on your decision.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks wise a 2:1 wouldn't have been my first choice either but you cant complain about missing any mid range torque or lack of a deep aggressive tone

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM
TyFlyer21
Intermediate

ynots,
What exhaust do you have?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

TyFlyer,
Congrats on the new-to-you bike. Your going too enjoy riding an HD.

People who've had multiple pipes on Harleys will provide better quality comparisons, but my Vance and Hines Pro-Pipe has been really good. It still looks new after 10k miles.

The V&H Big Shots are longer than the Short Shots, but they have a hidden collector chamber that makes them act like a 2:1 system. I'm not sure how well they work on the dyno, but this might be a good balance between the looks of a 2:2 and function of a 2:1.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound is subjective.

My FXR, I run a short D&D 2:1
The Dyna has a V&HN ProPipe.

I like the sound of both. The ProPipe is lower, and mellower than the D&D. The D&D just sounds nasty.

Both sound great from idle to the rev limiter. Just different.

Chase

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Big shots if you just can't handle the 2-1 look. Propipe if you can. I wasn't a fan of the 2-1 look but this one really grew on me and no 2-2 pipe will have this deep of growl:

Old 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TyFlyer21
ynots,
What exhaust do you have?
Bub 7. It comes with a chrome cover for over the collector but I never bothered putting it on

Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

2-1 for sure... this is an 06 bob with a modded bub lakester pipe, i have had prob 4 or 5 pipes on this bike and this one will stay forever

but here is a shot with my old setup, ran BCT baffles as well and i really liked these pipes but did not make enough power on the dyno

Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 AM
TyFlyer21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JRK5892
2-1 for sure... this is an 06 bob with a modded bub lakester pipe, i have had prob 4 or 5 pipes on this bike and this one will stay forever

but here is a shot with my old setup, ran BCT baffles as well and i really liked these pipes but did not make enough power on the dyno
I'm looking at the Bassini Road Rage II Mega Power. The 2 to 1 is growing on me. How do they sound?

Quick Reply: Exhausted of Exhaust Questions? One More '06 Street Bob