Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cheap horsepower

can some one please explain why we change our air filters and exhaust to gain a few horse power for a lot off $$$. when you visit a retailer site who says you can gain up too 8hp just by change a oil filter set up.. IF this was the case why dont Harley retrofit them and it would save thousands $$$ off development cost in motor design ... simple logic I guess or another urban myth I guess.. And why dont the production super cars run this system....

Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Because not everyone is a fool with his money....(but there are a few!)

Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

If it was the case that you could get up to 8 hp increase by changing the oil filter don't you think it would be something that almost every one did? I don't know what product you're talking about but find it hard to believer you can gain power with a different oil filter setup. Sounds like snake oil.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by loopie
you can gain up too 8hp just by change a oil filter set up.. ...another urban myth I guess.. And why dont the production super cars run this system....
Ah, so you've heard of the fabled "Big Foot Oil Filter"! Yes, it is true, although known only up here in the Great NorthWest and only to a few. Created by the mountain man called "One Legged Tom" due to a fight with a Grizz. Tom was a biker from way back and fashioned the filter from the spleen of a woman Big Foot he took as his wife. He out lived her and wanted to always keep her close to him, so much so that he used parts of her on his bitching Dyna. The filter wasn't the only part he used but bang for the buck, it was the best hop-up he did.
Being a Big Foot there was plenty of spleen to go around so he passed some on to his friends.
You may get your hands on one, one day, they last forever and get handed down from rider to rider. All you do is take it down the creek every so often and beat it against the rocks to clean it.

Ride on One Legged Tom, ride on

Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
f-250ford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of getting the oil bypass kit.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=40

Or even a adjustable power band.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=36

Last edited by f-250ford; 01-26-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Cascade
Tourer
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by f-250ford
I was thinking of getting the oil bypass kit.http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=40

LMAO!

Ah, the old "Up to", hey a .5HP gain falls into that category, LOL!
Every time I see claims like this it reminds me of an argument I had with a guy who had a base crate GM 350 he dropped into his car. The factory claimed 290HP. Well when he did the install he added headers (up to 50HP gain), K&N Air filter (up to 12HP), aluminum intake (up to 25HP gain), electric water pump (up to 15HP gain), aluminum heads (up to 75HP gain). Well you get the idea, from his point of view he was now running over 450HP with his power adders. Why waste money on a professional build or a Dyno on his build?
My explanation to him was that he would be lucky to see much more the a 20-25HP gain from everything he added and might actually have hurt the performance. Boy was he pissed, LOL!
Bob

Old 01-26-2014, 12:50 PM
f-250ford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cascade
Did you read the warning they are for off-road use only. I think it would give you too much hp on the street with 2wheels.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any air filter can give you a 5 hp gain if its compared to one that is so dirty and plugged that the test vehicle will barely run with it installed. That's how they get away with making a claim like that. What they are really saying is "Depending on how horrible and dirty your existing air filter is, swapping to our brand new expensive one "may" give you up to a 5 HP increase"

Old 01-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f-250ford
I was thinking of getting the oil bypass kit.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=40

Nice site. I could blow a bundle there.

Quick Reply: cheap horsepower