Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail to dyna......

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
dcdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail to dyna......

for those of you who have gone from a softail to a dyna, did you notice a big difference in handling and performance? any of you like certain things about the softail that you lost from going to a dyna? i've owned a crossbones since '08 but grew up riding dirtbikes my whole life so needless to say the xbones handles quite differently. i've ridden a roadking and a nightster (which handled more like a dirtbike to me compared to my springer fl softy), but never ridden a dyna. i love my bike but the streetbob is pretty badass... i think softails look awesome and they're smooooooth, but still pretty curious about dynas. any input would be appreciated!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a high dollar softail a while back. The Dyna is by far the best handling out of the two. You won't be sorry.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a Fat Boy, but aDyna before it. I MISSED the Dyna badly. I liked the Fat Boy. It was a lot smoother, but handling wasn't nearly as capable. But the Dyna just had more, uhh.. soul?? I don't know. I can't quite explain it. I really missed the rubber mounted motor vibrations, the great lean able, and just the character that a Dyna gave me.

I've got a Dyna once again. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

For me I went from Softail to sporty to road king to dyna .... Dyna is where my *** will be for al long time.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a difference, dyna has no floorboards to be scraped like a X-bone lol. I used to have a Fatboy, beautiful ride except cornering, sparks! Softail didn't fit my "ride it like I stole it" riding style lol. Do I still want a softail? Yes, only if I can have more than one Harley.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
There is a difference, dyna has no floorboards to be scraped like a X-bone lol. I used to have a Fatboy, beautiful ride except cornering, sparks! Softail didn't fit my "ride it like I stole it" riding style lol. Do I still want a softail? Yes, only if I can have more than one Harley.

Agreed! Would love to have a CrossBones! And...of course modify it!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
clang
Cruiser

I don't think any Dyna or Softail is going to remind you of how a dirt bike handles. I've got a Fat Bob, with some mods for handling (13" shocks, Tru Track, Fork Brace), but it's still a lead sled when compared to most other bikes.

If you really want something that reminds you of a dirt bike, but is a road worthy V-Twin, look for a used Buell Ulysses. I've got one and it is a hoot to ride.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdr
for those of you who have gone from a softail to a dyna, did you notice a big difference in handling and performance? any input would be appreciated!
A lot depends on how your Dyna is set up. They all handle diff than a softail. But there is a huge difference between a stock Dyna vs lowered vs sport suspension. Then to eliminate the extra excitement of bouncing or flopping when you are trying to go fast around a corner you need anti sway links or the new front mount from England. Which make another world of difference at speed and makes them feel more like a slot car compared to stock.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clang
I don't think any Dyna or Softail is going to remind you of how a dirt bike handles. I've got a Fat Bob, with some mods for handling (13" shocks, Tru Track, Fork Brace), but it's still a lead sled when compared to most other bikes.

If you really want something that reminds you of a dirt bike, but is a road worthy V-Twin, look for a used Buell Ulysses. I've got one and it is a hoot to ride.
My wife's Iron reminds me of a dirt bike. Mid controls, handlebars and high center of gravity are very similar. The Iron just weighs 3x as much as the average motocross bike.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Suspension and some flat bars on a Dyna will get you as close to the dirt-bike feel as you can get on a big twin Harley.

The ST is hard to mod into a bike with competent suspension. Plus, the a Dyna vibes and cable driven throttle give you a better feel and response.

Quick Reply: softail to dyna......