Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines fuel Pak ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Gpa14
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines fuel Pak ?

Iv seen a couple of post about the fuelpak that makes me ify on purchasing it. I'm running the short shots on my fatbob and buying an AC soon. Anyone have any advice. Pros and cons?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

if thats all you want to mod to your bike then the fuel pak is good, but anything more you will have to get another tuner.

I would try to find a used Power Commander for the money.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some here say that they have had a good experience with the foolpak, but I ain't one of them. Had one on my old Sportster and the damn thing would completely shut the engine off at high rpm's, nearly threw my butt off. Called V&H and the tech had me change a series of numbers quite a few times, but it did not matter. Take it from me because I learned the hard way if you want a good tune save your money and get a SEPST and have it dynoed. Yeah it costs more, but you will thank me in the end.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

have run the fuelpak, on a superglide for a year no problems, easy install, easy to program. no computer to fool with, works good.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I ran a FuelPak for 7 years. Nothing wrong with it.
It worked well with my exhaust and air modified.
Hell, I even added SE255 cams and the bike still ran like a top.
I just changed it out for a PV with Auto tune last month.
Nothing wrong with it, It was just the right time and $ to upgrade.

Cost effective fuel tuner. There are several on the market. If they did not work, there wouldn't be so many companys making them.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
rsmith
Intermediate

I've had one on my superglide for two years and there have been zero poblems with bike runs great

Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Had one on my 07 1200R, worked ok but eventually went with SEPST. Much better.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Gpa14
3rd Gear

thanks for all the replys guys.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

I had one on my Nightster, used V&H supplied "tune" (really just weird settings, not a tune) and put my bike on a dyno with a wideband. The bike ran fine but the dyno showed that during WOT acceleration in the middle of the RPM range was an A/F dip that went as lean as 15:1. The bike "ran fine" but I actually put the thing on the dyno and found that it was not fine. The FuelPak probably would work fine if the settings from V&H were always right, but they are not always right.

Since you don't know what any of the settings do- because V&H is not transparent about how the device functions- you can't tune the bike yourself if there is an issue. You have to call V&H, tell them the problem and then they will tell you what to change, then you have to hope that it worked. That's great for obvious problems like surging, popping, coughing, hesitations, etc. but not so great for something like a lean spot that is otherwise undetectable.

Can it work fine? Sure. If you have V&H Short Shots and a typical A/C I'm sure it's fine. I had the RSD Slant Exhaust (also made by V&H) and they gave me settings for their Blackout Exhaust. The bike ran like crap. So they told me to use the settings for the Competition Exhaust. The bike ran a lot better but the wideband said otherwise. The RSD Slant was the ONLY exhaust where they give you settings that are identical to another exhaust. Every other set of settings is totally unique. I thought that was weird that one exhaust would be the same as another exhaust and when that doesn't work they give you the settings for yet another exhaust. I bet if I had Short Shots or some other super common exhaust I would have been fine.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine doesn't work for **** with just a stg 1 ac and thunderheader. Front jug runs lean. Bike pops and runs like crap especially when it's hot out. Thundermax coming soon

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines fuel Pak ?