Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?

I just got a set of the alloy art DSL83R strut signals and see no way to route the wires between the signal housing and the strut covers without shearing them off after everything is tightened down. if someone who has these installed could offer some advice, I would be grateful. They are going on a 2007 street bob with detachable hardware.
Thanks,
Pete

Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

"Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?"

Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have any personal experience with these lights but did just take a look at Alloy Art's website and pictures of the strut lights. I've got to admit that the website leaves a lot to be desired in terms of explaining the product. I guess they didn't come with instruction, huh?

From the website photos, it appears that you should first run the wires from the light through the rear most hole in the strut, then slip the part over the end of the strut, and run your bolt through the hole in the light and the second hole in the strut. Is the problem that you are experiencing that the wires a squished between the strut and inside of the light housing? Maybe the lights you received aren't sized to spec?

http://www.alloyart.com/dynastrutlights.html

Sorry that I can't help more.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmb79
I don't have any personal experience with these lights but did just take a look at Alloy Art's website and pictures of the strut lights. I've got to admit that the website leaves a lot to be desired in terms of explaining the product. I guess they didn't come with instruction, huh?

From the website photos, it appears that you should first run the wires from the light through the rear most hole in the strut, then slip the part over the end of the strut, and run your bolt through the hole in the light and the second hole in the strut. Is the problem that you are experiencing that the wires a squished between the strut and inside of the light housing? Maybe the lights you received aren't sized to spec?

http://www.alloyart.com/dynastrutlights.html

Sorry that I can't help more.
yup no instructions, part numbers are correct. I was hopping someone who has them will chime in with some advice and pictures. but thanks any way

Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not take any pics when I installed them on my 09 Street Bob. What jmb has described is how I installed them. There was enough room behind the light and the strut to avoid crimping the wires when I tightened the bolt down. I have the quick disconnect set up as well.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FenceSC
I did not take any pics when I installed them on my 09 Street Bob. What jmb has described is how I installed them. There was enough room behind the light and the strut to avoid crimping the wires when I tightened the bolt down. I have the quick disconnect set up as well.
The strut covers seem to be giving me a problem. When I press the signal housing over the strut cover it leaves no room for the wiring. do you have strut covers on your bike? Maybe i should call the alloy art guys tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 AM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my street bob i have no strut covers. the alloy art part still sat tight to the strut. i ran the wires in shrink tube thru the original wire hole in the strut. i filed a groove in the strut to make room for the wiring so it did not get crushed and short out.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am attaching pics of the signals. First is installed. The second two are views after I took the turn signal off to show the routing of the wire. I did not route wire through the hole in the strut. I ran it under the strut. There is room beneath the strut because I have the luggage rack support between the strut and fender. The wire fits beneath the signal cover with out a problem.

Attached Thumbnails alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?-img_0613.jpg   alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?-img_0614.jpg   alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?-img_0615.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FenceSC
I am attaching pics of the signals. First is installed. The second two are views after I took the turn signal off to show the routing of the wire. I did not route wire through the hole in the strut. I ran it under the strut. There is room beneath the strut because I have the luggage rack support between the strut and fender. The wire fits beneath the signal cover with out a problem.
This looks like the way to do it! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, i'll let you know how it works out.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM
cleuci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about buying these from alloy art. Curious to see if you guys are happy with them. I have a 2010 SB with no strut covers. Can I simply cut wire from my existing bullet lights and solder to these units? Would I need to get a special module so that I don't have fast blinking turn signals? I don't have that problem now and I do have LED bulbs in my bullet signals so I assume the previous owner installed one ..
thanks

Quick Reply: alloy art strut signals how did you route the wires?