Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxdx fork oil service???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 AM
AJ white
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fxdx fork oil service???

howdy riders i have a few questions,I have a 2005 super glide sport with 28,000 miles and want to change fork oil (cartridge style).Doe's this take any special tools or do you just take it off the bike and dump it and re service? I have a clymer and it doesn't really say much,just that some disassembly is required,then it goes through the whole rebuild process of the fork.Also if i found a factory service manual will it go through the whole service process in more detail than the clymer? Any help would be appreciated i really don't like taking my vehicles to a shop like to trust my own hands to do the wrenching. safe riding

Old 03-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a better way and it doesn't require taking off the fork legs. I use a vacuum tank called the "top sider" that I bought from a marine supply store. Just stick the plastic hose down the tubes and suck it out, and clean the inside of them with some clean rags. A heck of a lot easier than taking everything off.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To change oil you need a lift and either the special oil level tool or a turkey baster . My bike has drain plugs on the forks making everything easier. The tool is to set the oil level and works as follows: You set the desired level on the tool, pour in oil and slightly overfill, insert tool and use it's hand pump to suck out excess oil, repeat on other fork. I decided not to buy the tool for a single use and filled by volume. However, as the forks then felt too stiff, I used my trusty old turkey baster (been in my tool box for years for similar uses) to suck out some oil. Done.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

With a 2005 I would do a complete dissaembly as it may contain sludge.
Get the manual, fill to proper level.
It's not hard to do.
When I did mine first I over filled it and had to suck some out. Mine was 4 inches from the top of the tube . est 26 ounces.
Get the book if your going to do it yourself.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
AJ white
3rd Gear

Thank you all for fast reply,all are good info to me,as i've never replaced it since i owned it at 7000 miles,so factory oil is most likely still in them.Probably is best i take them off the bike,i do have a bike jack and think i will buy a fsm for the job,having 2 books cant hurt.I have made a tool out of a syringe and 1/4 hose to service seems pretty simple,set it at 5.04 from top of tube (per clymer) and suck it out to get proper oil level.I appreciate the input i think i can tackle this and not have to pay outrageous amount of money at the dealer. Thanks again

Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
With a 2005 I would do a complete dissaembly as it may contain sludge.
Get the manual, fill to proper level.
It's not hard to do.
When I did mine first I over filled it and had to suck some out. Mine was 4 inches from the top of the tube . est 26 ounces.
Get the book if your going to do it yourself.
26 oz for both legs (13 oz per leg?) Manual calls for 14.2 oz per leg.

To do the FXDX fork leg service properly you need a spring compressor. You have to remove the cartridge after you pull the spring, then pump out the last bit of fluid from the cartridge. Changing the oil an other way leaves oil in the cartridge.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the FXDX forks are made by Showa be prepared for the most disgusting smelling oil. Don't know what Showa uses but I remember as a kid we'd call the engine oil they put in new Japanese bikes "fish oil." Used oil from Showa forks on my FXDL was worse. Spilled a few drops in garage and wife complained about the smell for days.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, that fork oil that came in both my 49mm Street Bob and 39mm FXDX was some real low quality fluid. I replace that junk with Bel Ray fork fluid.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM
AJ white
3rd Gear

thanks parts eeter for pics and advice will try and find a spring compressor,and i dont know who made the forks but will keep in mind the smell lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AJ white
thanks parts eeter for pics and advice will try and find a spring compressor,and i dont know who made the forks but will keep in mind the smell lol.
They are Showas, and Traxxion Dynamics sells both the compressor in the pic, and the damping rod tool you will need for bleeding the cartridge.

Buy this

http://www.traxxion.com/ForkServiceToolKit.aspx

and this, along with some Bel Ray fluid, new seals,fresh bushings and o rings.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/607-...FY6Z4AodhS4AEA

Quick Reply: fxdx fork oil service???