Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Front end clunk?

My FXD35 is my first Harley so maybe they all do it, when I ride over uneven roads or an unavoidable pothole there is a noticable clunk from somewhere in the front end of my bike, I`ve checked to see if anything is obviously loose and all seems well. Has anyone else this noise or maybe every one does?
I`d be grateful for any ideas, thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
chainbreaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a clunk in the front of my 09 FXDC that drove me crazy. Found the front tank mount bold barely loose, but it was enough to clunk loud. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
My FXD35 is my first Harley so maybe they all do it, when I ride over uneven roads or an unavoidable pothole there is a noticable clunk from somewhere in the front end of my bike, I`ve checked to see if anything is obviously loose and all seems well. Has anyone else this noise or maybe every one does?
I`d be grateful for any ideas, thanks
They all clunk when the front end takes a hard hit. The stock suspension is dinosaur technology. Change your fork fluid and maybe try some heavier oil, it may help a bit but it's still gonna clunk when you hit a hard bump

Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you do all that, check your front gas tank mounting bolt. Seriously. Its been the culprit in more front end clunking noises than you would believe.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chainbreaker
I had a clunk in the front of my 09 FXDC that drove me crazy. Found the front tank mount bold barely loose, but it was enough to clunk loud. Good luck.
Sorry. Posted without reading your reply. Im betting that's his problem too.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The same thing happened on my 07 LR last year. Front tank bolt was loose. Removed the nut and put on some blue loctite and torqued her back down. Problem fixed.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions of checking the tank bolt, it has become more prone to clunk lately which may point to a bolt loosening off.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Before you do all that, check your front gas tank mounting bolt. Seriously. Its been the culprit in more front end clunking noises than you would believe.
I will have to check that out, mine is doing that too.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have an '06 FXDi35. I have not noticed anything on mine like you describe. However, I did have a lot of noise coming from the front right of the bike for some time. I could never seem to track it down. Later, I found one of my exhaust shields (Samson with heat shields welded on) had broken loose. The noise was coming from behind, I only thought it was coming from the front. My point is that it is sometimes hard to pinpoint the location of some noises. Look everywhere. You might be surprised what you find. Good luck with finding it.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 AM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jpicht
I too have an '06 FXDi35. I have not noticed anything on mine like you describe. However, I did have a lot of noise coming from the front right of the bike for some time. I could never seem to track it down. Later, I found one of my exhaust shields (Samson with heat shields welded on) had broken loose. The noise was coming from behind, I only thought it was coming from the front. My point is that it is sometimes hard to pinpoint the location of some noises. Look everywhere. You might be surprised what you find. Good luck with finding it.
Thanks for the info, BTW your '35 looks a beauty.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk?