Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MPG question

Hey, I have a question about mileage before VS after pipe swap. It's certainly not life or death and I'm not stressing over it, just curious.

I swapped from my old Rush slip ons with 1.75" baffles to a Rush 2:1 system (haven't had the bike tuned yet) and I noticed a pretty big change in my MPG, as in I'm burning through a tank if gas much faster now. I expected some difference, but not this much. By the way, I have had a Stage 1 intake and XiEDs on the bike since before the swap.

Is this typical or is it symptomatic of something else?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM
XjldX
Road Captain

Nothing?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

how big of a loss are you talking about?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 AM
slozomby
Road Master

my stage 1 upgrade cost me 2-3 mpg over stock.
propipe, dk 425 and powervision autotune.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM
XjldX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ynots
how big of a loss are you talking about?
Due to weather, I've only had a chance to ride it to work once since I did the swap, so I don't have any concrete numbers, I just noticed when I got home that I definitely burned more gas than I did before. It'll probably be dry enough to ride in the next day or two and I'll get a better idea.

I have never trusted the gauge (especially since I have a tank lift), but I was surprised that I used as much gas as I did. I'll post with some numbers when I can, if that'll help to tell if this is atypical.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 AM
slozomby
Road Master

a single short run right after the work isnt really a good indicator. i know im throttle heavy after making adjustments.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:20 AM
justintyme73
Cruiser

I definitely wouldn't worry too much till you ride it more, and/or get a tune. Unless you are having serious popping or backfiring.

I want to see some more pics of it on your bike though! I'm considering that pipe in black for mine, I run saddlebags too and think it looks good with the bags. What size baffle did you get and how loud is it?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

My only other question would be for the guys that are more knowledgable of the fuel systems in the TC motors: would a decrease in mileage be symptomatic of anything in particular? Or would it just be a byproduct of the fact that the bike is now exhausting more - for lack of a better word -efficiently and performing stronger, so the EFI is just feeding more fuel to keep up?

@Slozomby, I hear you on that. I've definitely found myself twisting it more I see what she's got now. So I'm sure that's probably part of it, haha!

@justintyme, I have only put less than about 30 miles on with this pipe and I already know that love it! It flows nice with the lines of the frame and the swing arm and it sits nicely under the bags. The full length heat shields make it look beefier and smooth. It's a good looking pipe.

As for performance, I instantly felt it pulling a bit more. Like I said, it's not tuned for the pipe, so I know I can get even more out of it too.

As for sound, I have the 2.5" baffle and it rumbles at idle and really growls under throttle. The best I can describe how it sounds is to say it's like a hot rod. Deep rumble with a thick, full note - not at all crackly. I haven't experienced any exaggerated popping either, even under rapid deceleration or engine braking. I'll post a video when I get a chance, so you can check it out.

(Sorry if I got a little abstract on the sound description, I sell guitar pickups for a living and I always have to come up with subjective words to describe sounds. Haha!)

Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a stage one setup with bubs straightaway pipes, and heavy breather air cleaner and after market tuning box. (terry's components unit). I just put in a crane 310-2 cam and still get 41 mpg. if your getting much less then about 36 - 37 mpg I would suggest having some kind of a tune done or getting a better map for the bike. I get about 36 when its cold out ( 30s to low 40.s) after that mileage goes way up.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
justintyme73
Cruiser

Originally Posted by XjldX
My only other question would be for the guys that are more knowledgable of the fuel systems in the TC motors: would a decrease in mileage be symptomatic of anything in particular? Or would it just be a byproduct of the fact that the bike is now exhausting more - for lack of a better word -efficiently and performing stronger, so the EFI is just feeding more fuel to keep up?

@Slozomby, I hear you on that. I've definitely found myself twisting it more I see what she's got now. So I'm sure that's probably part of it, haha!

@justintyme, I have only put less than about 30 miles on with this pipe and I already know that love it! It flows nice with the lines of the frame and the swing arm and it sits nicely under the bags. The full length heat shields make it look beefier and smooth. It's a good looking pipe.

As for performance, I instantly felt it pulling a bit more. Like I said, it's not tuned for the pipe, so I know I can get even more out of it too.

As for sound, I have the 2.5" baffle and it rumbles at idle and really growls under throttle. The best I can describe how it sounds is to say it's like a hot rod. Deep rumble with a thick, full note - not at all crackly. I haven't experienced any exaggerated popping either, even under rapid deceleration or engine braking. I'll post a video when I get a chance, so you can check it out.

(Sorry if I got a little abstract on the sound description, I sell guitar pickups for a living and I always have to come up with subjective words to describe sounds. Haha!)

Thanks, its a great description, and I look forward to the video!

Quick Reply: MPG question