Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dual Brembos

Just finished my Brembo upgrade. Used (slightly) OEM floating rotors and about 50% left on what I was told were aftermarket pads that came with the calipers.

I was so excited I got on the bike and proceeded to "test" the new set-up... Damn! They're good, REAL good! But, I didn't break 'em in properly and now there is a strong chatter in the front end on hard breaking. Also coming to a stop, it sorta surges, almost like the rotors are warped. Don't believe they are (two reasons; they look darn good, like new. And two, bought em from a forum member and I refuse to believe he would have sold me rotors he knew were warped).

Is there any hope that these will seat themselves accordingly? I hope I didn't permanently mess my rotors up... I think I just built up some "sticky" spots on the rotors that will eventually even themselves out...? haha. I hope so anyway!

Anyone have any encouraging words? or advice?

Thx.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

If it were me I'd check the rotors for flatness and that the calipers are parallel to the rotors. I would've done that before install though. .

Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the rotors are warped you will feel it in the lever.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have to shim the calipers to get them lined up properly. I know someone else on the forum did this a while ago and said they didn't have to shim the calipers, but they said you need to measure carefully and make sure. I think they also changed out the master cylinder.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As to having to shim the calipers ( would be fairly rare as long as everything is factory. I assume the lowers you used are still stock ). Jack up the bike to get the front wheel off the ground and if it spins freely without drag your caliper position is probably ok. If it has resistance you may need to shim. Now you may hear the pads lightly hitting the rotors which is normal, but the wheel should spin free.
You do need to however look at changing to an 11/16ths bore master.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM
rustang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the brembos bolt right up or did you have to use adapters?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hit everything (inside calipers, pads, rotors) real well with brake cleaner. A little handprint with some oily residue could cause the surging feeling.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

Don't feel it in the levers at all. Not more than anywhere else, anyway. It unsettles the whole chassis when under hard braking. It did seem to grow less and less as the short ten mile ride progressed...

As for shimming, was real smooth rolling. As smooth or smoother than stock. This was a bolt on affair for my DX (already had duals, AND the 11/16" bore MC). One must pick the correct rotors, however, as some require sinking the rotor bolt holes a bit so that the bolt heads do not make contact with fork sliders.

I'll nail it all with some cleaner as I did not do this before riding, only before mounting...

Thanks guys.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pads match calipers / discs

This is a 'just in case' ... were the pads still in the calipers and have you matched the calipers to the discs they were biting on? if they mixed up then it won't feel great, I'd be tempted if everything is lined up to replace pads and bed them in properly. Should be smooth with that set up... Longer shot I'd also check headstock bearings too if it's very twitchy.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

Neck bearings are good. Replaced recently... I will be buying new pads as the money to do so comes available. Won't make the same mistake then!

Just hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the rotors.

This thing stops. FAST.

Quick Reply: Dual Brembos