Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise coming from left side of bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
override
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Weird noise coming from left side of bike?

Ok so I am pretty sure this may very well be engine ping caused by heat soak or something of the nature but I am unsure and want to ask. I read several post but none of them describe ping as what I have heard.

This has only happened a handful of times and I've only noticed it after an hour or more of riding continuous. It seems to only happen in 5th and 6th gear around 2400-2800 rpms (55-68ish mph) under heavy acceleration to get back up to speed.

The noise I hear sounds like it is coming from the front left top side of the engine. To me it is best described like a thin strip of metal being whipped back and forth and then the "ping" noise follows and sounds like if you were to take a thin piece of sheetmetal and flick it in the center with your finger. Kind of like a hollow type sound at that.

My bike was outfitted with a fuelpak, V&H propipe bp and maybe SE A/C when I bought it. I have updated the settings on the fuelpak according to V&H website and added a rain sock to the A/C. I do not know if the stage 1 download has been done but I assume so since the stuff was supposedly installed at a dealer. I am going to go up to HD to see if they can check and make sure it's been downloaded, also I put new NGK ceramic plugs on when I serviced all the fluids after bringing it home.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:10 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

A few things.
The FuelPak overrides any download, so you don't need to waste efforts there.

The FuelPack is not the best tuner, but they work. It sounds like too much fuel on that range.

Go back to the HD plug. You aren't getting any advantage from NGK and you could be screwing with the anti-knock circuit. This circuit is very sensitive to resistance changes.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
override
Tourer

Well I know the fuelpak has maps for with or without the stage 1 download, I have tried the map for without it and the bike seemed like it ran way to rich. So Harley just got $250 of my money to download it, I guess will see how she runs with the stage 1 but I am pretty sure I just threw away that money. Started raining while I was at the dealer, I think I'll wait for dry roads to give it a good test run.

Eventually the fuelpak will come out, whenever I get around to doing the motor work I'd like to do.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM
little5150
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try running some higher octane fuel. If it goes away it a detonation problem do to much advance in timing. I'm an old carb guy, so I don't no that much about the computed fuel injection systems. Pinging is not good for the motor, so get it tuned properly as possible. Pinging can destroy your motor.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
override
Tourer

Well I run super unleaded only and about every 4th tank I put some of that Amsoil PI stuff...Yeah it was for sure pinging or so I think as it has not come back yet. I have been driving it like this for some 2200 miles and only recently the last few times I've taken it out have heard the pinging so I am hoping there is not internal damage.

So today on my short ride around town I noticed that the motor lugs slightly more than it did before in the lower side of 5th and 6th (richer condition). I did not hear any pinging at all and I noticed the cruising temps were about 30 degrees cooler. I have been having cruising temps of right around 243-245, since the download my temps are now at 213-215.

Sure hope the motor is ok, makes me wanna go to the guy who I bought it from and ask him why he skimped out on the stage 1 download and why he did not tell me when I asked. Heck maybe he didn't know either???

Last edited by override; 03-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM

did you eat beans the night before?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
override
Tourer

lmao, actually I did eat beans Saturday and sunday was when I heard it again and decided to go to the dealer monday.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 743 Posts

There is an ION sensing circuit in the ignition coil. It "reads" the plugs while they fire and retard the ignition under load. Use only OEM HD spark plugs or you will disable it, causing spark detonation. EASY FIX!!!