Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best gasket kit for 2005 Super Glide FXD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best gasket kit for 2005 Super Glide FXD?

Hello people!

My bike is down to almost the barebones and I need to find a complete engine gasket kit to put it back together (not the trans, though I might as well, right? It is a 60-70K mile bike)

Is there any difference between Cometic, James, Feuling, etc??

My Cyco tensioner shoes came with a cam service gasket kit (rocker box covers, rocker boxes, rocker arms, cam plate, but NOT cylinders) is it ok if I mix or should I just buy a new kit altogether? Thanks!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Hello people!

My bike is down to almost the barebones and I need to find a complete engine gasket kit to put it back together (not the trans, though I might as well, right? It is a 60-70K mile bike)

Is there any difference between Cometic, James, Feuling, etc??

My Cyco tensioner shoes came with a cam service gasket kit (rocker box covers, rocker boxes, rocker arms, cam plate, but NOT cylinders) is it ok if I mix or should I just buy a new kit altogether? Thanks!

I have had great success with the James kits, how is the motor now that you have it apart now

Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Not too bad. A friend who is also a mechanic took a look at it and recommended I only buy:
  • Cam plate (old style, but I want the '07-up style)
  • Cams (Conversion cams if I go with the '07-up style plate)
  • Oil pump (usually comes with cam plate)
  • Piston rings (standard bore as far as I know)
  • Gasket kit (complete)

I have $500 to spare so I have to play around with the prices a bit in order to buy all the items, so I'm looking for good quality pieces that won't ''break my bank'' so to speak.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Not too bad. A friend who is also a mechanic took a look at it and recommended I only buy:
  • Cam plate (old style, but I want the '07-up style)
  • Cams (Conversion cams if I go with the '07-up style plate)
  • Oil pump (usually comes with cam plate)
  • Piston rings (standard bore as far as I know)
  • Gasket kit (complete)

I have $500 to spare so I have to play around with the prices a bit in order to buy all the items, so I'm looking for good quality pieces that won't ''break my bank'' so to speak.

glad the damage was limited, I went with the SE Hyd kit that came with the SE oil pump, I also upgraded the inner cam bearings with the SE type, as the stock type is what took out my motor, I have noticed quieter valve train with this set up

Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
glad the damage was limited, I went with the SE Hyd kit that came with the SE oil pump, I also upgraded the inner cam bearings with the SE type, as the stock type is what took out my motor, I have noticed quieter valve train with this set up
I wish I could afford the SE Hyd Kit, but that kit alone is $494 (Surdyke) and can't find it cheaper elsewhere, and on top of that I have to buy cams! Maybe next year. For now I'll just buy a used cam plate with the lowest miles possible, and use the Cyco tensioner shoes (which I already have, along with part of the gasket kit)