Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to fuses on '13 Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default How to get to fuses on '13 Dyna?

How do I remove the cover that is over the fuses? I see a tab at the top/back, but it doesn't want to budge. I don't want to make another mistake. I'd appreciate your help.

I pulled the cover off the electrical caddy, but there is a cover over the fuses. Page 7-12 of the manual does not show this cover, and I've looked at every page I think could possibly lead me to how to remove this cover, but I can't find it. I also ran advanced searches on this forum.

The background is that I installed side plates without re-securing the tail light wires. Sure enough, that was bad. running lights did not work, but signals and brake did. So, I lifted the bike, used liquid electrical tape to patch the frayed wire and buttoned everything back up. The rear running lights still don't work, but the turn signals and brake light still do. My first action was to wiggle the wires, but that did nothing. Next, I was trying to check 15 amp fuses, and that's where I am.

I hope my transgression will be forgiven. And, THANK YOU for your most gracious assistance.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

just pull the whole cover right off. harleys have been made like that for a long time!work it left and right with a firm grip on it and it should come off, then pop it back into place.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 PM
boro
Tourer

Thanks for replying, but I'm certain the fuse cover on my bike has to be different than yours. There is a tab lodged in a slot on all four sides.

I've decided to try lifting each tab, sliding cardboard under each. Hopefully, cardboard will be enough to let the cover slide over the tabs. Seems much more complicated than it should be.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

shoot up a picture.p tried push and release yet? like ikea furniture,

Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I think what you are describing is the main large fuse that sits in its own cradle about dead center in the fuse box???

Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
boro
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your help, as I try to work this out.

Sorry for the blur. I even put the camera on a tripod. But, you can see the fuse cover that I'm talking about (the large rectangular fixture in the middle of the picture.)

I called the dealership, and they said to just pry up one of the tabs -- then pull. That still didn't work, but I slipped cardboard under flaps on each side, then had to pry up the slotted tab on the top/back of the cover to get it off. After all that, I'm still at a loss.

I tested each fuse and got a "good" light on all three. But, I pulled the main fuse, according to the manual, then swapped the two (suspect) 15 amp fuses. I put a light coat of NYK grease on the contacts, before replacing. Running lights still don't work, while turn signals and brake light do still work.

The electrical diagram shows only power and neutral wires going to each tail light, and power/neutral/ground to the brake light, so I am stumped as to what to check next. I'm not sure how to test the wires inside the tail light housing and circuit board.

Is there "troubleshooting" next step?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
boro
Tourer

Just spent two hours checking for loose or pinched wires. I also took off the brake light cover to check connections. I'm through. I'm already bent over, so I'll be going to the dealership. Thanks, again, for trying to help.