Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Forks - Fitment Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea I would think that would be a good dent/bend tightening them down in that position or the potential of it seating properly (if this isn't right) and the pinch bolts backing off while riding. Hopefully a WG owner can put up a pic or go to a dealer and look for your self if that's possible.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:34 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Something ain't right. Do not tighten any of the pinch bolts.

When you had the fork tubes out did you roll them on a flat surface the make sure they weren't bent? My 2011 superglide had a bent fork tube in it from the factory.
Have you checked to make sure your steer bearing is tight to specs? I would take the tubes out and see if you can move the steer head back up and down. Something is out of whack and whatever you do, do not clamp anything down or ride it.

Looks like the steer head is at the wrong angle to me. Is it showing exactly the same on both tubes? If it is then it would have to be the angle of the steer head. Did you take out the steer head when you powdercoated?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm curious did you get it figured out?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It don't look right to me. Doesn't make sense. Is there pressure, weight on the tubes? Is the weight of the wheel causing the tube to '****' in the triple tree? Is the wheel on the ground?

Can you take the weight off of the tube/triple tree and see what happens?

But I'm no wrench.

Just using logic. Or... What passes for logic

Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy

I'm surprised no wide glide guys have chimed in. Is there a gap on the front or backside, between the tube and tree? I don't see how it could possibly go in anyway but straight, it's a tight fit even with the pinch bolts out. No pics from before they came apart? There's a rake in those trees and unless the triple tree sweeps up the hole for the tube would have to be at a slight angle. I've never taken apart a wide glide front end before so I'm not really sure, it just seems that it would be impossible to have those tubes go in cocked. I hope you get it figured out I'm interested in the answer

Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Wide glide or not..that is not right. It is something the OP installed wrong and is now too embarrased to come back on...lol

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This is weird.

If it were mine, I'd want to know if the top of the tube was square (90 degrees) to the tube length. The first thing I would do is to twist the tube within the clamp and see if the deviation turns with the tube, if the deviation rotates with the tube, the top end is not cut 90 degrees to the axis. If the deviation doesn't turn with the tube, the holes in the tree are not square to the upper and lower surfaces.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
LXCoupe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely and 100% normal for Wide Glides. Thats how they get the rake on raked trees. The bottom tree is also slightly offset.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, learn something new everyday. But the OP's picture looks like it's much more exagerated then that pic...maybe the angle

Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
LXCoupe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Wow, learn something new everyday. But the OP's picture looks like it's much more exagerated then that pic...maybe the angle
Yeah, could be the angle at which both pictures where taken. Could also be an optical illusion due to op's forks are closer to the tree.

Quick Reply: Installing Forks - Fitment Issue?